CHAPTER 36

Suddenly her tongue felt very tingly and her throat became hot and dry, she could barely speak. Her face felt hot and was covered in sweat. Her tongue was getting so hot and tingly she couldn't take it anymore.

"What did you put in this thing?" her voice was barely a whisper.

"Nothing, just a little pepper like you asked me to."She took a bite out of her own plate with her face still as innocent and confused as before.

"When did I ask you to....." Her face froze as she stared at Alya, shocked out of her mind.

"On your letter of course."

Alya's sweet smile slowly turned dark, and malicious. Her eyes turned dark and her sweet smile slowly faded, and was replaced with a dark grin.

Nyx shivered at the sight she saw before her. Her focus quickly shifted to what she needed the most, which was water. She grabbed the glass of water beside her and was gulping it all down.

"I wouldn't drink that if I were you." She said it a bit too late, she had already gulped some down.  Immediately she spat the rest out. It was so hot tears were about to spill out.

"Why not do it yourself?" Alya inquired, forehead creased and her brows furrowed.

"I just didn't feel like it."

"Not the kind of answer I was looking for."

"I'm.....sorry."

"...."

Alya sighed, she that was enough suffering for one night.

"I've heard you."

Alya gave Nyx her own glass to drink.

"I.....said I'm....sorry."

"I'm get angry sometimes, I'm not evil."

Alya pushed the cup into Nyx's hand.

"Take it if you want to talk again."

Nyx drank it all in one go. Fortunately, the pain went away immediately and she would finally relax.

"Okay?"

Nyx shot daggers at the redhead, who continued on to eat as of nothing happened.

"If you're not going to finish that...."

She grabbed Nyx's plate and dragged it towards herself.

"Let's not put good food to waste."

With that she took her fork out, took out a big chunk out of it and placed it in her mouth.

Nyx was beyond words as she stared at the redhead eating the food with joy.

"How are you eating that?"

"Oh....you decided to not give me the cold shoulder."

Nyx responded with a bitter smile.

"As long as it's not poison I can eat it."

Taking in that much pepper was easy for Alya, due to the fact her stomach had adapted to many things, whether spicy, bland, hot or cold, sweet or sour. As long as it was food, she would eat it to survive. It was not like she had a choice back then.

"One should never be picky." Alya held up her finger.

"Hmmm..."

In minutes she emptied both plates and drank a glass of water, satisfied with her dinner. Meanwhile Nyx reluctantly had to eat fruits so she wouldn't starve that night.

.....

Morning came by as the sun slowly rose above the horizon. People started to wake up and start their day as would any other day. Alya was still in bed sleeping the day away while Nyx had woken up before the morning sun arose.

She had been training at the back of the house since early morning, improving her combat skills, as well as her abilities. Once done she looked over at her pocket watch, ticking as the seconds flew by.

"Is she still asleep?"

Nyx went inside, walked upstairs straight to Alya's room and opened the door to find Alya laying face down on her pillow.

"Wake up!"

"...."

Nyx yelled three more times but she was still asleep.

Because yelling did not work, she tried other means to wake her, such as shaking her, hitting her with a pillow and yelling in her ear.

"Aren't foxes supposed to have good hearing?"

Nyx hit Alya with the pillow one more time, but she didn't budge. By then Nyx thought she was awake and just wasn't moving on purpose.

"Aren't you hungry? Breakfast is getting cold."

She still wasn't moving, Nyx was starting to get worried. She could clearly see Alya was breathing, but was something else going on?

Nyx decided to give it one more try. If she doesn't wake up she would quickly take her to a doctor. She ran to the bathroom, took a bucket and filled it with ice cold water from the tap. She then ran to Alya's room with the bucket and splashed it all on Alya.

Immediately her eyes popped open and with a scream she jolted up from her bed in shock, soaked from head to toe with cold water. Her whole body was tensed up as if she was being electrocuted.

"Oooh... you're awake!" Nyx exclaimed, overjoyed.

Alya glanced at the bucket Nyx was holding and was infuriated. Since she had an affinity with water, being in water, not to talk of cold water, felt like fire on her normal skin. Just taking a bath was enough for her. Being splashed by freezing water was too much to handle. She looked up at Nyx, still shivering from the cold water. Her face turned dark while her narrowed eyes glowed a dangerous red.

Nyx noticed something was wrong. The atmosphere had suddenly gotten hot, so hot Nyx had began to sweat buckets.

Alya was so mad her temperature rose exponentially, so much that every drop of water on her hair, tail, clothes and body all evaporated, causing hot steam to surround her.

In the midst of the steam, Nyx could hear low growls from Alya, who had her fangs bared in anger.

Nyx grew cautious.

"You weren't waking up! What else was I supposed to do?" Nyx frantically tried to explain but it fell on deaf ears.

The atmosphere got even hotter by the second, Nyx couldn't take it anymore, her clothes were now stuck to her body.

"Sorry....but you weren't waking up, I was worried!"

Before Nyx could explain further, Alya pounced, ready to attack Nyx but she swiftly dodged and threw the empty bucket at Alya so she could escape. But before it could touch her, the bucket melted mere inches away from her skin.

"So hot blooded....." Nyx mumbled as she rushed down the stairs in a flash and made a break for the backyard.