CHAPTER 17

Alya nodded then sat on the ground in a lotus position, facing the old man.

The three went silent for a while, not even a peep. The forest was as silent as a graveyard, no gust of wind, no leaves rustled.....nothing. Alya and the old man looked intently at each other, while Nyx just sat there smiling for some reason.

For what seemed like an eternity, the old man suddenly cleared his throat, gaining the girls immediate attention. Nyx turned to the old man, who had a deep frown on his face, he seemed impatient.

Suddenly, Nyx nodded then jerked up, which confused Alya.

"Where are you going?"

"Home of course, but I'll be sure to visit sometime.....and I won't forget to get you some food anytime I visit."

Alya's eyes formed beautiful crescents as she thought of food.

"Hmm...."

Seconds later, Nyx waved goodbye, then disappeared.

Before Alya could figure out her emotions, the old man spoke.

"First of all, I'm going to tell you all the things you need to know, before we train." The old man's eyes stared intently at the red head, who quickly nodded.

"Hmm..."

"I'm sure Nyx told you about Mana, and ways you can use them, hasn't she?"

"Yes sir."

"Apart from heightened senses, Mana can be used in different ways, depending on the user. Nyx told me you're a fire user, so it's a no-brainer that I'll teach you fire based skills....right?"

Alya was unsure on how to answer but it seemed simple enough.

"Umm.....yes?"

"Wrong!"

"....."

"People who learn what other users do are just like a shadow, not having their own ideas on how they can improve their skills. Others who have a brain can learn people's skills, and also invent other skills, even if it's the same element. I will teach you all the elements I know, even though you're a fire type, but it is you who will use those skill types to shape them into your own."

Alya was more confused by the second. This man sounded so crazy in her mind. How was she able to use those skills as her own, and invent them. She just arrived in this world less than a week ago, how unlucky she was.

"But.....how?"

"That's why you're here isn't it?" A smile played on his pale lips as he stroked his beard.

"I'm sure you used Mana to heighten your senses while on your errand."

"...."

"You are still slow when using it. while in battle, the enemy won't give you time to prepare. So the first thing you'll learn is how to use it quickly."

"Yes sir."

"Let's begin."

As soon as he spoke, a small silver pocket watch appeared from thin air, and landed on the old man's frail hands.

"Let's see how long it'll take you to heighten your sense of sight. I want you to tell me what a certain cat is doing over there, a few kilometers away. It's the only cat in that certain area." The old man pointed in a certain direction.

"Weird request sir."

"Just do it. Your time starts now."

Instantly, the clock's timer started, then floated up in the air in a fixed spot. Alya quickly tried to use her Mana, and focused it on her sense of sight.