CHAPTER 14

Alya walked inside, closed the door behind her, and followed the old man.

She took in her surroundings, the house was as normal as the outside. They turned different corners, deeper into the house. It was weirdly long.

She looked around for Nyx but couldn't find her.

"Umm....."

"What is it?" The old man grumbled, his back still faced Alya as they walked further inside.

"Where's Nyx?"

The old man didn't reply.

He walked forward and entered a small room. The room was empty, not a single set of furniture was there.The walls were heavily covered with moss. The old man walked towards the wall on the left.

Alya wondered why they were there, and why he was walking towards the wall. She thought the man couldn't see clearly with the wrinkles covering his eyes.

"Um.....old man, that's a dead end."

The old man still ignored her and stopped by the wall. He then raised his cane and pressed the bottom of the cane on the wall.

Suddenly the wall turned pitch black, just like the cupboard in Nyx's kitchen. Alya stood there speechless.

The old man then walked through.

"Are you coming or not?" He yelled from the other side. Alya was brought from her daze and quickly followed.

As soon as she entered, the next thing she saw was green, everywhere.

They were in the middle of a forest, filled with tall trees and bushes. The leaves rustled as the wind blew past. The air was humid, and had a calm earthly scent. The sounds of various critters could be heard around them.

There was a big part of the forest that had been cleared, and Alya stood in the middle. With her fox ears, he could hear the sound of running water a mile away.

She stared down at the old man, who was sitting on the ground, right next to her, and Nyx knelt beside him, with a small kettle and a ceramic cup in her hands.

Nyx lightly tipped the kettle, and a hot green liquid poured out from the spout and into the cup. He then gave the old man the cup and smiled.

"Teacher, here's the tea."

The old man grumbled as he carried the cup to his lips and drank. Alya just stood there, out of place.

"Old man, what am I supposed to do now?"

The old man slowly drank his tea until there wasn't a drop left in the cup and gave it back to Nyx, gesturing for more.

"Go down to the river and get three fish."

"What?"

"You heard me, don't waste my time."

Alya was stunned, and confused. She glared at the old man, who was drinking another cup of tea. Nyx just sat there, waiting for the old man to finish his second cup. She glanced at Nyx with a vulnerable look, but Nyx didn't even look her way. She was more focused on the next round of tea to pour.

Alya could only sigh angrily.

"What should I use to catch them?"

The man looked up and stared at Alya. He really thought she was stupid. Alya didn't like the way he looked at her.

"What else? Your hands of course."

"My hands?"

"You're still here." His voice was low and abrasive, he seemed annoyed.