CHAPTER 11

Alya and Nyx were on their way back home. It was already dark, and most of the townspeople were in their homes. The cool evening breeze blew, causing a silent and refreshing atmosphere. The street lanterns glowed brightly as soon as the sky got dark.

Alya felt at ease, she walked slowly as the cool breeze hit her face. Her hair and tail swayed back and forth along with the motion of the wind.

Nyx walked beside her, she still carried all the things that Alya bought, while Alya wasn't holding anything.

Nyx was tired. She stole a few glances, and the more glances she took, the more her frustration grew.

'Seriously? These are yours for crying out loud. At least help me carry some.'

With a forced smile, she spoke up.

"Hey Alya, if you don't mind carrying some of your things by yourself, that'll be much appreciated."

"Huh?"

Nyx's got Alya's attention. Her expression dulled quickly as she stared at Nyx's face. Nyx's eyes slightly twitched with the look she gave her.

'Does she find me that annoying?'

Alya then glanced at the bags she was holding, it looked heavy. Alya had bought a lot of things, a few were fun things and necessities, while most were different kinds of food, fruits and vegetables and snacks. She was so tempted that she bought all the food she could find. And she did not intend on sharing them with anyone.

Alya had only the bags of food on her mind. She stretched her hand towards the bags closest to her.

"I'll hold the bags of food, carry the rest."

Nyx wasn't surprised, she thought back to how Alya ran to all the food stalls they passed and chose every dish and snack the vendors showed her. She now thought of Alya as a glutton.

"With a small nod, Nyx handed the bags to her. With a few loads off her hands, it was easier for Nyx to walk properly.

"So, how was your day in town?" Nyx suddenly asked as she stretched out. Alya's eyes quickly shone.

"Great."

Nyx gazed at the happy red head and smiled. Alya's eyes reflected the bright golden lights of the street lanterns. They really looked like orbs filled with dancing flames.

"Good to know." She nodded in satisfaction. Moments later, she suddenly remembered something. Her brows raised.

"Oh, Alya, do you still remember the exact moment you glared at me earlier today?"

As soon as she heard Nyx's question, her expression dulled once again.

"I always glare at you. You're annoying." Nyx rolled her eyes, she had gotten used to her sharp tongue in a short time.

"I'm talking about earlier this afternoon, when I knocked on your head by accident." Alya grew annoyed and clicked her tongue.

"What of it?"

"At that exact moment, when I felt your forehead, it got hotter. And when you were warning me minutes after, the temperature strangely increased."

"Maybe it was the heat of the sun." Alya answered without much thought. But Nyx shook her head knowingly.

"But did you feel the heat?"

"No."

"But I did."

"Maybe it's the way your body is, or maybe you have a fever."

"I'm sure my body would've showed signs of sickness."

Alya was confused, it wasn't normal for the temperature to rise up suddenly, especially when the day was cool. But Nyx felt it. Neither of them were sick, so the heat must've come from somewhere. And why didn't she feel it?