chapter 7 - the little elf {Rewritten}

Rimuru POV

Several days had passed since my last conversation with Sylvia, and during that time, I had managed to convince her that everything would be fine. Now, all we could do was wait for her to finish constructing the gate as per our plan.

Everything seemed to be proceeding normally; I was sitting in meditation, focusing on purifying my mana core, while Arthur diligently practiced the 'Mana Circulation' technique nearby. The air in the cave was calm and serene until it was abruptly shattered by a thunderous thud that echoed through the cave, causing us both to jolt to attention.

*thump*

Without hesitation, we rushed towards Sylvia. Arthur immediately confronted her, his voice filled with worry and frustration. "Sylvia, please tell me what's happening to your wound? Why is it getting worse all of a sudden? You told us it was just a minor ailment that flared up occasionally, but this...this is far worse! We can't just ignore it anymore. It won't heal on its own, it's deteriorating!"

As Arthur expressed his frustration and accumulated tension, I remained calm, observing the scene before me. It was clear to me that Sylvia's condition was deteriorating because of the gate, a realization that seemed to dawn on Arthur as well.

Taking a deep breath, Sylvia let out a weary sigh, acknowledging that Arthur had grasped the truth. She managed a sheepish smile, her voice barely above a whisper. "Art, yes, I am dying. But please, do not blame yourself for this. You are not the cause. I have been slowly fading away for quite some time now. In a way, you are actually granting me a favor by allowing me to depart this wretched cave sooner."

Her words hung heavy in the air, and just as the weight of the situation settled upon us, a dazzling golden glow began to emanate from Sylvia's body. Adjusting my eyes to the brilliance, I focused on the transformation taking place where Sylvia had been seated. What emerged from the spot where she once sat was a magnificent dragon, surpassing even the massive titan-like figure that Sylvia had previously embodied.

This dragon was grand and awe-inspiring, its entire form adorned in a pearlescent white coat of shimmering scales. Lavender eyes, exuding both strength and wisdom, glowed beneath a series of intricately crafted golden runes that adorned its neck and snaked down its body and tail. These runes resembled an elegant tribal pattern, reminiscent of celestial artwork, carefully etched and intertwining as if they held some deeper meaning. The dragon's wings, pure and pristine, were adorned with razor-sharp feathers so fine and perfect that they would put swords forged by master smiths to shame.

Slowly, the blinding golden light that enveloped the dragon dimmed, allowing the full view of its majestic form. The once titan-like being had been completely replaced by this magnificent creature, radiating an aura of power and grace that was truly breathtaking.