Chapter 44 - The Disciplinary Committee

Arthur Leywin POV

As I opened the door to the back entrance of the DC auditorium, a blast of air hit me like a wave, carrying with it a surprising and deafening greeting

My hair was tousled by the bloodcurdling roar that echoed through the corridor. Along with the roar came a shower of bullets of saliva that landed on my face and upper chest, making me blink in surprise and disgust.

"There, there." While wiping off the spit of the mana beast, I nonchalantly proceeded to pet its face, which was inches away from my own. This mana beast stood about two meters high on all fours. Its body was covered in thick dark brown fur and a deep red mane circled its head. Two pointed, vicious teeth spouted out from above its jaw, making it all the more menacing. Despite its fearsome exterior, I couldn't help but see it as nothing more than an overgrown kitten compared to Sylvie's dragon form.

As I continued to pet the mana beast, a voice interrupted my thoughts. "Woah... he wasn't surprised at all..." From behind the mana beast peeked out a student that looked to be a couple of years older than I was. He had very dull, light gray—almost white—hair that reached over his brows. He had narrow eyes that were virtually slits, and his smile seemed more mocking than welcoming.

Though lean and tall, his overall frame looking quite frail. What stuck out the most, however, was that his uniform was very different from mine and any other I'd seen so far. He wore a loose, dark gray oriental-style robe that covered his arms and came down past his torso, black pants, and a golden sash tied around his waist. Peeking out of the inside of his robe was the insignia that all of the disciplinary committee members had to carry around—the silver knife. Something felt a tad off about him—something that made me wary.

"You must be the last DC officer to arrive! My name is Kai Crestless, a fourth-year! Just call me Kai." His expression didn't change at all, his eyes still narrowed and lips still smiling, but he put up his arm in a welcoming gesture, revealing hands that were completely wrapped in bandages so that it looked like he had gloves on.

" His expression didn't change at all, his eyes still narrowed and lips still smiling, but he put up his arm in a welcoming gesture, revealing hands that were completely wrapped in bandages so that it looked like he had gloves on

I nodded politely, trying to ignore the uneasy feeling that crept up my spine. "Hello, my name is Arthur Leywin. Pleased to make your acquaintance." I shook his bandaged hand, noting the slight widening of his eyes at the mention of my name.