CHAPTER 3

Note: This is a gift for your patience, wanderers. Thank you for waiting, and enjoy the chapter. I love you! Muah!

•••|•••

[ C H A P T E R 3 ]

LATISHA VALENTINE

"You know where this leads but you're ignoring it. The Dukedom can't do much with an Empire's forces, your grace. Can you just—"

"Why every time I am with you, you keep bringing this up?" He cut my words faster than I could when I had a chance. "Why can't you trust me on what I can do rather than doubt it? Latisha, this is not just your fight. Don't bear the whole problem by yourself."

"But...I cannot bear to see this land rumble just because of me. It's wrong, Roshan. Your father protected this territory and you are willing to use that to protect a rebel? It's wrong," I said, shaking my head until his grasp loosened. Napayuko na ako. "I am not doubting you, it's just that...I don't deserve it. I'm a villain in your life, in this Empire. You should be with the heroine instead. Just...di...divorce me, please."

I can't bear to look in his eyes again. Dahil kapag ginawa ko, malulunod na naman ako kagaya ng nangyari noong nakakaraang gabi. May masasabi na naman ako na hindi ko sinasadyang sabihin at mas lalo lamang niya akong hahawakan imbis na papalayain.

"Why? Tell me the real reason why. Don't use the Empire as a reason for your agreement, nor use our daughter or anyone, Latisha. Tell me what is rooting this question to be served all the time? Why must you insist?"

Pinilit kong huminga dahil ramdam ko ang paninikip ng aking dibdib. Umangat ang aking tingin para salubungin ang kanyang nagsusumamo na mga mata. "I am scared, your grace. I fear what extent you can do just to uphold that conviction. It will only give us pain if you defy your own world for my safety. Can you understand that?"

"The only thing I cannot understand is why you are pushing me away," he firmly said. He suddenly reached for my waist and pulled me against him. "You are scared for what, if I will set the Empire into fire just for you? Then listen, Wife. I don't care if I might, because if this world will take you away from me, I might as well burn the world for them."

"Roshan...please," I pleaded.

"What did I say about bringing this conversation?" he said, crossing his eyebrows even more. "You told me I must prove how I burned. I am proving it, but you are pushing me away. This is not about me anymore, is it?"

Umiwas ako ng tingin, subalit agad niyang naibalik ang mukha ko sa kanya. I don't want to get drowned in those amber orbs but I can't stay away from it with how he is holding me.

"What is bothering you, wife?" he said, almost hitting my nose with his. "Tell me what is upsetting you and I will try my best to correct it."

I closed my eyes to stop my tears from occupying my eyelids. What is upsetting me is not the question, but a statement I cannot correct even in myself. I am upset that he's close and I can hold him, yet he feels far. I doubt his words of affirmation because of the insecurities I feel towards it.

Everytime I hear his words, I don't feel like I'm melting, but rather I feel insecure. Are those words he always says to Annabelle too? Did he hold her this tight, and spoke to her calmly like how he did to me? I kept on comparing everything with her, and even if I wish to not compete with the dead, I cannot complain once my heart defies it. I'm hurting because I know someone came first and it's not me.

Lumayo ang katawan ko sa kanya at inayos ang aking sarili. I took a deep sigh to release the heavy air filling my chest. I looked at his amber orbs that still shouts confusion, but I can't tell him the truth.