CHAPTER 16

Note: Happy 45k reads book 1, and 4.6k book 2! Na-mi-miss ko na talaga ang weekly update haha. I hope that June will be a good month to end some ongoing stories hehe. Enjoy this chapter, see you soon!

P.S. Happy 800+ to Wendyreen, too! ❤️❤️

•••|•••

[ C H A P T E R 16 ]

LATISHA VALENTINE

"If you're a real god, why are you here?"

Wince looked at me with his itching displeasure on how my tone of voice sounded uncertain with the news he revealed ten minutes ago. "Don't get me wrong, in books, gods and goddesses only walked with humans for a short time until they ascended into their own realm. They don't look like humans either. Are you stuck here? What do you really look like?"

"Wala na bang ikakatahimik 'yang bunganga mo, Madame?" inis na sambit niya. Mas lalo lamang tumaas ang kilay ko dahil sa uri ng pananalita niya.

"Kasalanan ko ba na masyadong superficial ang sinabi mo?" Tinuro ko siya at pinandilatan ng mata. "You a god? Of what, of love? Why so? Why are you a Four Clover Knight bearing the symbol of love? How long have you been here? Are you immortal?"

"Magpahinga ka na lang, Madame." Akma sana niya akong hahawakan ng lumayo ako sa kanya. His facial expression began to lose its fit. "Look, I am an immortal god, yet I am with the humans because it's my mission to guide them towards eternal love. That is what cupid should do. We unite the red strings, attach the souls together, and if it breaks, we will be punished."

"Just like the goddess of time," mahinang sabi ko habang nakatingin sa kanya ng may malungkot na mga mata.

"Yes, just like her. In fact, all those gods and goddesses who receive a mission to the Almighty must do their job to uphold unity of the land."

"Kahit tinatalikuran na ng mundo ang paniniwala na 'to?" saad ko. My hands landed on my tummy. "As humans indulge in new weaponry and evolutions, the culture that binds them into union has been forgotten. Even my mother's lineage, they had been hiding in the darkness for they are afraid to get caught and burned for being a kind that human fears. This world the Empire is part of, is cruel."

"Yes, because humans are now the new ruler," sagot naman ni Wince pagkatapos ng sinabi ko. "Let's keep this a secret. My mission doesn't really circulate just to the both of you, but to others too."

Napakurap ako ng may bigla akong maaalala. "If you are mending the red string of love, can you tell me if Blessime and Cyan are bound together?"

"Oohh, curious ka rin pala sa kanila," nakangisi niyang saad. Kung hindi lang siya malayo sa akin, kanina ko pa siya nasapak. Paiba-iba ng ugali ang unggoy. "I can't disclose the red strings, Madame. If they are bound together, hooray! But if not, hooray pa rin."

"Bakit hooray pa rin?" takang tanong ko.

"Red strings are powerful and eternal. They become visible once the two lives collide and as time goes by, the string will grow stronger, deeper, and uncontrollable. In their case, they collided..."

Wince paused intentionally. Sabay kaming napako sa isang direksyon ng marinig namin ang boses ni Blessime. She was looking for me as she shouted my name. May kalayuan kami sa kubo pero kung titingin siya sa aming gawi, makikita niya agad kami.

"She pulled out, he drowned. He fought, she let go. Pareho kayong dalawa ng pinsan mo, parehong may matigas na ulo, parehong naglalaro sa kanilang taghana. Blessime knew her fate with him, and that sin will either bind them or break them."