CHAPTER 6

Note: Two advance chapters are up. I won't be updating tomorrow and Friday for the celebration of holy week. Isa lang ang masasabi ko, didiligan na po 'yong bulaklak next chapter XD HAHAHAHA. Enjoy reading!

•••|•••

[ C H A P T E R 6 ]

LATISHA VALENTINE

"Are you sure you don't want the help of the Emperor?" I asked him while tending his wound. I'm no longer surprised at how I develop tolerance seeing him bleed. "Paano kung malaman niya ang ginagawa mo? They asked for a summon and you haven't responded since we received that letter."

Hindi niya sinagot ang kahit isa sa mga tanong ko. He was just looking at me with those obscure pairs of amber orbs. Kanina ko pa iniiwasan na tumagal ang tingin ko sa kanya dahil tiyak akong may binabalak ito.

"Your grace, you promised you'd tell me everything after speaking with the Lord," I added.

He took a breath and turned his head away from my direction. "Cyan and I managed to trail a group disguised as bandits traveling from the south. We need the Lord of the State to suppress the turmoil and detach their suspicion towards the ducal couple. They must have been aware why the Duchy shuts its border and is on high alert. This problem is no longer in our hands, wife."

"Paano mo naman nasabi na hindi?" nakakunot ang noo kong tanong. Natapos ko na ang paggamot sa kanya kaya buo ang atensyon akong tumingin sa aking asawa. "Are you saying that they no longer wish to acquire the Duchy?"

"I think after your father failed to execute what he was told, they fear us. Now, they are targeting Edinburgh and using the name of the Duchess to commit crime. The presence of the Lord perfectly fits for my plan to commence," he replied. He was calm, like waves after the storm. His breathing is normal along with his facial expressions.

"What are you up to?" I asked, trying to communicate with his thoughts that seemed baffling to me. I know I don't know him too well, but I have known since that the Duke stored his plans inside his head.

I blinked when he looked at me. "We are no longer their enemy, but the Empire is. Right now, I am the Duke of Riedensteigh, and my duty is to protect the Duchy and the borders. If the Empire wishes for my forces, I must decline not because I don't care, but I need my forces to protect you."

"Protect me? You already said that we are not their enemy," I said as my confusion arose. Naramdaman ko ang mainit niyang palad sa aking pisngi. He gently caressed my cheek with his index finger as if he was reassuring me.

"I will use it to protect you against the Empire, wife."

Napamaang ako. "W-what? You can't do that. Even if you have the authority of the 38 percent Phoenixes, it doesn't mean that you must use them against the Empire. You can't do that!"

"Then, what must I do to protect you once they will target you as a part of the Moore Clan? Once they know who's behind this mutiny, the Duchy will be put into the spotlight and I know that will be the date of another war. Tell me, are there other chances that I can guarantee your safety, aside from fucking divorcing you?"

I felt my breathing sharpens. He is mad again, and everytime we bring that up, he is always mad. He will cater a lot of options but not the option of me leaving him. He will try everything even when he knows that the first choice is always the right answer.

"Talk to him," I said. "The Emperor."

Roshan got the reason for my answer but I didn't know what he was thinking since his other emotions aside from anger and pain were always hidden. Huminga ako ng malalim at hinawakan ang kanyang kamay na nakahawak sa aking pisngi. "Why don't you try to explain to him instead of letting the Imperial Court decide? He will listen to his nephew, will he?"