CHAPTER 25

[ C H A P T E R 25 ]

LATISHA VALENTINE

Ayoko lagi na nakikita ang pagdududa sa mga mata niya. Because aside from doubt there is also fear. His fear that I might replace him, that I might choose someone other than him. Kahit sabihin at ipakita ko man sa kanya na hindi mangyayari 'yon, alam kong hindi niya agad mababago ito.

Aside from Annabelle's death that traumatized him, there was also something that made Roshan fear of being alone flourished. His parent's death made him lonely, and Annabelle did the same thing to him. He is afraid that I might do it, too.

"We are just playing, your grace," nakangising sagot ni Napoleon sa kanya. Napoleon suddenly made a bow conveying his apologies. "I didn't know you were pregnant, Madame. I must have lost my mind, and I will accept any form of punishment the Duke and Duchess may imply," he added.

"I am alright, no need for punishment," agad na sagot ko. Bumalik ang tingin ko kay Roshan at dahan-dahan tinungo ang posisyon niya. "I thought you were coming back tomorrow? Hindi ba't kakaalis niyo lang?" agad na saad ko nang makalapit ako sa kanya.

"I forgot something," he replied. He wasn't even looking at me, he was staring directly at the Lord. Bahagya kong hinawakan ang braso niya para pilitin siyang ikalas ang tingin sa iba at ituon ito sa akin.

"I have to go," Napoleon said and marched him away from us after giving a salutation. He must have sensed the aura that Roshan was emitting.

"It was a friendly banter," I explained. I was urging him to loosen his stiffness and relax with me. "He didn't harm me, and I was careful with my movement, your grace."

Hindi pa rin siya natinag. Sumisikip ang dibdib ko tuwing iniisip niyang kaya ko siyang palitan, kung sa totoo ay hindi ko naman 'yon magagawa. I could feel water forming my eyes as my vision blurry while looking at him.

"I love you," I whispered. I was hoping that could make him relax but it didn't. He still feels distant even when we are near each other. "Please, listen to me. Whatever you see, it was just a friendly conversation. Napoleon and I are just talking about you and the Duchy. He don't mean any harm—-"

"I know, I understand," he cut me off. His voice was low and cold. Napakurap ako nang dapuan niya ako ng tingin at agad nitong itinaas ang kamay para punasan ang aking pisngi. "I just realized something, wife."

Hinawakan ko ang kanyang kamay na nasa aking pisngi para maramdaman ko ang init ng kanyang palad. He wasn't wearing his gloves, making me feel his skin on mine.

"What was it?" I uttered. Despite my clouded vision, I saw pain lurking in his amber orbs. It was an ocean of despair drowning him into its depth, making him succumb into darkness.

"You never look that happy when you are with me," he replied. His voice cracked but he tried not to show how unbearable it was for him. Habang panay tulo na lamang ang aking luha dahil kahit hanggang ngayon, hindi ko magawang pagaanin ang nararamdaman niya. "Don't cry, it's breaking me when I see you cry because of me," he continued.

Hindi na lamang ako nagsalita bagkus siniil ko siya ng isang yakap. I buried my face on his chest and I felt how fast his heart was pounding. Sinuklian niya ang yakap ko kaya't bumagsak na ang katawan ko sa kanya. I just let my tears fall, and cry in his arms despite knowing this also breaks him.

Guilt, a relentless specter, clings to us, leaving no respite from the haunting echoes of the past. The weight of our transgressions denies us the opportunity to embrace a fresh start, as we remain trapped in a cycle of trying to mend a problem we desperately wish to avoid in the future.