CHAPTER 27

Note: Hi! Missed us? Hahaha. Pasensya na sa delay hihi. Thank you for your patience and dedication waiting for this update. Enjoy reading! See you soon!

[ C H A P T E R 27 ]

LATISHA VALENTINE

In the warm embrace of the garden, my gaze darted nervously to the single person across the bridge that connects the mini-garden to the wide forest behind the mansion. I'm fearing the shadows harbor unseen intellects. The weight of past encounters lingered-a haunting reminder of vulnerabilities laid bare. I always knew Nethys is someone not to be trusted with the most dark secrets, because he too, has skeletons on his own.

Hindi ko hinayaan na mamuno ang kung ano mang emosyon na nararamdaman ko. Hinayaan kung kumalma muna ang aking sistema, habang hawak ko sa aking kamay ang maliit na kamay ng anak ko, at nasa aking sinapupunan ang isa.

Habang tumatagal, palalim nang palalim ang mga nakatago. Each familiar face became a potential adversary, a puzzle mastermind waiting to unravel my carefully guarded secrets. Simula ng maging close ako sa lahat ng nasa mansyon, natupok ang estado na siyang naghahati sa amin.

Even Wince doesn't address me as the Duchess all the time, more like, I'm his friend. Dahil siguro sa ganitong sitwasyon, parang naging komportabale ako at nakalimutan ko atang huwag magtiwala kahit sino. I think my pregnancy hinders me to think logically, I'm prone to emotional discomfort most of the time.

"Polar Bear!"

Napaigtad ako ng mahina ng biglang umalingaw-ngaw ang magiliw na sigaw ni Annika nang makaabot kami sa dulo ng tulay. She drifted apart from me and run towards the Knight who had been her protector since the chaos started.

Agad naman lumapad ang mga bisig ng binata at binuhat ang nakangiting Annika at niyakap ito. Seeing there closeness grew deep and fondly, I am at peace to know that Nethys admires children.

"Fatherhood might suit you best," I said when I got near. Nethys' warm demeanor immediately turned cold when my presence reached his guard. Amidst the stillness he showed, he greeted my presence as the Duchess of Reidensteigh.

"What cause you to visit the south, your grace?" he asked. Binaba niya si Annika at ginulo ng konti ang buhok nito. Pinagmasdan ko lamang ang galaw niya. Ibang-iba siya tumingin sa akin at sa bata.

"Mommy wants to talk about Father's friends, Polar Bear," Annika said. Her voice filled with innocent and wander. Agad naman natigilan si Nethy at sinulyapan ako ng tingin.

"Your grace-"

"Annika," I cut him off by calling my daughter's name. When she looked at me bearing confusion in her eyes, my lips instantly opened. "Can you ask Sonya to inform the maids to prepare tea for us? I think the Clover Knight needs some to overcome his fatigue."

"I believe, I am quite well-"

"I believe you are not," I uttered firmly. Nakipagtitigan ako sa kanya. My eyes bear the heavy intensity that my entire mind could fathom, and I knew he realized what it meant.

We both looked at Annika whose eyes wander to mine, and then to Nethys in a repetitive gesture. I let out another nod for her to understand my instructions, and she left with a little nod.

"Don't run, child!" pahabol ko pa ng akma sana siyang tatakbo. Annika gave a salutation and a chuckle before she marched away. Nang mawala na sa paligid ang bata, agad kong sinulyapan si Nethys.

"When did these charades begin?" I continued. My voice indicates the impatience growing on me. "How long have you all been fooling me?"

"Your grace, hindi ba at parang kami ang magtatanong sa 'yo nyan?" pabalang niyang sagot dahilan ng pagmaang ng aking mga labi. "How long have you been fooling around the duke?" he added.