CHAPTER 41

[ C H A P T E R 41 ]

OMNISCIENT

Napoleon's eyes widened upon seeing his rescuer. He didn't have much time to process what she said for the enemies began to attack, aiming to kill the seer. As the purpose of Laviene to earn his trust, she joined in the center of a bloody dance.

"Who the fuck are you?" the lord asked despite his focus was on the foes trying to get ahold of Annabelle.

"Latisha Valentine Moore, my lord. Please, remember my name," Laviene said her twin sister's name. She has no plans on telling everyone about this little secret for the entire Empire doesn't know their mother is a witch.

They were both busy, protecting the mother and the child amidst the turmoil. The cold weather is looming around despite winter having been bidding goodbye.

"My lord!" Latisha slash Laviene screamed when Napoleon got surrounded by five men. She rushed towards the lord and helped him subtract the enemies.

Soon, the echoes of the sword clashing finally retreated, and what was left were lying bodies and two exhausted protectors of the mother and the child.

"Anna," Napoleon whispered when he coped Annabelle's face. The child had been crying since they were attacked, and now it hushed down. It was already cleaned up and wrapped in thick clothes before they escaped.

Annabelle is pale, her body cannot stand very well and she has lost a lot of blood. Anytime soon she'll die from exhaustion but her blood doesn't know when to give up also.

"Where are you taking her?" Laviene asked.

"That is none of your business, my lady," Napoleon firmly said. He stood up and without hesitation, he aimed his sword at the future duchess of Reidensteigh. "Who sent you?" he asked firmly, voice devoid of any reconsideration.

"No one," Laviene said. Which is true, but perhaps an underlying condition laid hidden. "I was in the area when I heard noises. I mean no harm," she lied.

Napoleon seems skeptical but he cannot change the fact that she did save them. He only heaves a deep breath and carries Annabelle who is carrying her child. He started to walk, completely ignoring Laviene and her questions.

"May I ask another question, if you cannot answer the first one?" Laviene said and followed them.

"I am not entertaining any questions right now, lady. It is best if you return to your stroll, and we shall forget this ever happened," Napoleon said.

But Laviene is undeterred. "Why did you take the lady and her child away from the duke?" she spilled, making the lord halt from his march.

"You-"

"It is widely known that the beautiful woman you are carrying is the duke's love interest. Are you intervening in the couple's lives?" she asked. Although she knows the answer, she's buying time.

"What do you know?" he asked, trying to figure out the agenda of this woman who helped him. "If you are sent by anyone who's trying to kill Anna, I swear I'll cut you in half before you can ever do that."

Laviene raised both of her hands as a sign of surrender. "I only want to know why you are doing this? The duke is influential, his protection can save the seer-"

"oh, please," he cut her off with a continuous scoff. "The duke's protection is dupe, he doesn't care about her anymore. The moment she conceived this child, his reasoning fell out. He doesn't listen to anyone but himself!"

"Perhaps because he was betrayed," Laviene spoke softly as she looked at the woman who was listening to them. "The woman he loved bore a child from a man he loathed. He deserves to be angry for this affair," she added.