CHAPTER 14

[ C H A P T E R 14 ]

LATISHA VALENTINE

"Someone killed the High Sheriff!"

"Find them!"

The assassination of the High Sheriff of Lake Leonard commenced. The warning of the Duke was dismissed, and the High Sheriff's life was taken by the bunny hunter. Nagbato-bato pick pa kami dalawa ni Blessime kung sino ang susugod at kahit ako ang nanalo, dinaya niya ako. I thought she was asleep when I sneaked out but as I got in the Sheriff's house, she was already there.

Blessime is a hunter, and she always leaves a track that traces her whenever she goes. Hindi niya pinapansin 'yon dahil sa huli, the prey will be trapped by the predator. She's also messy, and she doesn't like being silent whenever she works. She's not doing it for fun, but more of shutting every single mouth she can find.

So, right now, she did it again. Hinahabol na naman kami. Sa bubong na kami nagtatakbuhan at bawat kalye may biglang sumusulpot na kalaban. The night is chilly, the air is cold, and the moon is being hidden under the thick clouds. Isa ito sa mga operasyon na pinaka-ayaw kong ginagawa ni Blessime.

"CAT!" She screamed my pseudonym, yet it didn't help me from my situation. I stepped on a fragile wood and it immediately broke resulting in me falling from the roof. "You bitch, okay ka lang?!"

She peeked her head on the hole and looked for my body. Hindi muna ako gumalaw dahil pinapakiramdam ko ang katawan ko. Fortunately, my body landed on a stack of hay and it reduced the amount of pain I could feel if it weren't for its presence.

"Sinabi ko naman kasi sa 'yo, ako na lang eh!" Litanya niya pagkatapos nitong tumalon para daluhan ako. She landed with a steady feet and immediately examined me. "Magpapakamatay ka ba? Alam ko naman na may problema kayong mag-asawa pero huwag mong idamay mga pamangkin ko——hmmmp!"

I covered her mouth with my hand. Agad rin siyang tumigil dahil sabay kaming nakarinig ng mga yabag sa taas ng bubong. Without any mumbling, we both hid behind a stack of crates being covered with black and dusty thick fabric.

Pinakiramdaman namin ang mga humahabol sa amin na kasalukuyan ay nasa bubong. Agad kaming naghanda ng may bumaba gamit ang butas. I was behind Blessime as she tried to protect me from the first attack, yet it has been a while and we're still safe from where we were hiding. When the presence we felt disappeared, Blessime went out from the spot and looked around. Umalis na rin ako.

"We're not safe here," I mumbled. "Kailangan natin makaalis sa lugar ng matiwasay dahil pumuslit lamang tayo. We both know what the Duke and the Commander will do."

"I don't know what his grace will do to you, but I am pretty sure that Wyatt won't make our situation even," she replied while trying to get some hay out of her clothes. "Why don't we flee? You said that you will meet them half-way through the plan, yet we haven't even arrived on that scale yet."

"His grace knew what I am up to," I said.

Blessime looked at me with her unbelieving stare. Her lips even parted as her shoulder loosen. "In that case, what should we do? If he knows you're carrying his child, he'll stop all these operations and everything we did will be in vain!"

I gesture my finger to stop her from raising her voice. Blessime heaved a deep sigh as if her frustration was exploding in her system. Napahawak ako sa aking tiyan at hinihimas 'yon ng marahan. She noticed what I was doing and her face immediately changed into worry.

"Are you okay?" she worriedly asked.

Ngumiti ako ng pilit. "I'm fine, just a shock."

"Sinasabi ko na nga ba eh," inis na banggit niya. "I told you to quit pushing yourself when you know you're not physically well. Let me handle the work while you focus on these nuggets, pero ang tigas ng ulo mo." Hinila niya ako ng marahan at kinuha sa akin ang dala kong espada. "Kapag may nangyari na masama sa inyong mag-ina, ako ang mapapahamak, Latisha."