CHAPTER 30

Note: Something actually happened during Annika's birthday, but I changed my mind. Annika celebrated this day every year unhappy, she deserves this one. Let me know your thoughts on the comment section, and leave a vote rebels.

Enjoy reading!

[ C H A P T E R 30 ]

LATISHA VALENTINE

Halos hindi na ako gumalaw sa kinaroroonan ko. I can feel my heart pounding rapidly as if I was being chased by a horse. Everything feels like I'm in the middle of a marathon, people passing by in slow motion, as if time had moved slowly, yet my chest moves from the outburst of my heart.

This is what I feared the most, something that will pass through the preparations I made, completely unnoticed. How come Napoleon is saying that Annabelle is alive, and with the Butler's news about the duke's arrival with a guest, everything coincides.

Why is she alive? That can't be true. I was certain.

As the festivities continued, a hush fell over the garden-themed ballroom. My eyes widened with anticipation as the butler announced the much-awaited arrival. "Lords and Ladies, may I present the Duke of Reidensteigh!"

The grand doors swung open, revealing Roshan's commanding presence. Blessime, and Cyan Cameron Wyatt, the Commander of the Order of the Knights, stood by his sides, and a mysterious person, shrouded in a black cape, followed closely behind them. Sa kanya nakatuon ang buo kong atensyon. I can sense a very strong aura coming from whoever it is, and a sense of familiarity lingered on my system.

A murmur of excitement rippled through the guests as they greeted the Duke in unison. The air tingled with a mix of awe and curiosity.

Napako tuloy ang tingin ko sa nakatayong duke na siyang kanina pa namin hinihintay. My heart skipped a beat as Roshan's eyes met mine. I saw a subtle smile on his lips, a reassurance that he had kept his promise. Blessime exchanged a knowing glance, while Cyan stood straight announcing his guard. On the other hand, the mysterious person remained an enigmatic figure in the background.

The guests, caught in a collective moment of surprise, offered a respectful acknowledgment to the Duke. Annika, on her throne, looked on with wide-eyed wonder, her innocence capturing the essence of the magical reunion.

Cyan stepped forward, addressing the crowd. "Ladies and gentlemen, let us welcome the Duke of Reidensteigh, Roshan Thaddeus, who graces us with his presence on this joyous occasion. We hope we're not late, are we?"

The guests erupted in applause, celebrating not just Annika's birthday but the return of a revered figure. I couldn't contain the surge of emotions as Roshan approached, the anticipation and longing finally giving way to a moment of heartfelt reunion.

But at the same time, hindi mawala sa mata ko ang nakakapa. I noticed Napoleon went to the person's side. Hinila niya ito palayo sa mga tao, at nawala sa paligid si Blessime.

"My daughter, Annika!" Roshan's voice echoed through the entire room. He embraced his child with joy and longing. I wanted to smile as I saw them latched, but I couldn't raise my lips. Nakikita ko ang wagas na pagmamahal ng duke sa kanyang anak, naririnig ko ang paghingi niya ng tawad, at ang mga maliliit na hikbi ni Annika habang niyayakap ng ama.

It's a joyous moment, yet my heart sank to the bottom of the ocean. Gusto kong umalis dito at hanapin ang kasama nilang nakapa. I want to know if that person is who I thought it was. Fuck, why did I ever think that Napoleon was a genuine person. He fooled me.

"Wife..."

Halos hindi ko magalaw ang mukha ko pero dahan-dahan akong tumingin sa mga mata niya. His eyes showered with so much longing that it could drown me. Hawak niya si Annika sa kanyang braso, habang ang isa ay pilit akong pinapalapit sa kanila.