CHAPTER 32

Note:
Okay, breathe in, breathe out! Happy 10th month ROTR! I am grateful for your presence and the unyielding support despite my hiatus, so, just like how we celebrate each month, enjoy the four chapter update (Chapter 32 to 35). Chapter 36 to 45 will be posted starting November 6, and it is written in Omniscient point of view and English as a medium. Enjoy your long semester break and see you soon, rebels!

P.S. Let me know your thoughts!

[ C H A P T E R 32 ]

LATISHA VALENTINE

I stared at her entire being standing just a few meters from where I stood. She's wearing simple clothes that can never fool anyone that she's a commoner for her face is never likely. There's a hint of elegance as she stands, her poise is close to a woman living in a noble household for years.

I do understand why Blessime said she's odd. Who would trust the idea of her coming from a village if she expressed such exquisite details. I am not a fool and so does the duke of Reidensteigh.

"Tell me your name," I uttered, my voice devoid of any emotions. I emit an authoritarian behavior at this moment because I need to remind her of who I am. I don't need to introduce myself.

"Anna, your grace."

"Is that what they call you?" I uttered, trying to control my voice from shaking. She speaks like her so much that I can't distinguish their differences. She slowly nodded, indicating agreement to my question. "Who found you, and where did they find you?" I continued.

"I was found by the riverside as they say, then I met the lord of the State by chance when he visited the village for the election. He said he knew my past, and told me to wait for the right time," she answered politely.

Ah, this is where they differ. She may have the same face and poise as Annabelle, but her politeness doesn't match. Annabelle is kind, not polite. She talks what her heart wants to say, and not merely answering a question out of courtesy.

"Where is Napoleon now?" I asked.

"Talking to the duke," she replied instantly.

Naalarma naman ako sa sinabi niya. "Do you know that your presence can shatter an entire belief? Let alone trigger a trauma to open again, that has been healed for a while?" I said firmly to her. I was looking straight into her eyes, deciphering every emotion these orbs can emit.

"I don't want to cause harm to the Duchy," she uttered. Hindi ko maintindihan kung bakit parang hindi siya pwedeng magsalita ng payapa. Her every word holds an enigmatic field, making me feel cautious around her. "I stayed in that village all these years, living a life I thought I owned. But after knowing that someone knew my past, I want to know what truly happened," she continued.

"And coming here will answer your questions?" I said, trying to provoke her, instilling a dominance against this conversation.

"I believe it can help me remember," she replied.

I scoffed. "You are not her," I firmly said. Her eyes widened and lips parted. She almost lost her composure but she remained steady. "Whoever you are, you can't fool me. You have her face and copied her behavior, but there is one thing you can never imitate, and that is, truth."

"If I have my memories, we could have a smooth conversation, your grace. It looks like you know me too well. Am I truly acquainted with you?" she said. There, her voice sounded sour, there was hate forming as we delved deep into wasting time. "I don't need to prove anything to you, Duchess. I want to talk to you to apologize, but it looks like you are not pleased with my presence. As much as I want to instill camaraderie with you, I can't do that if you have walls in front of me."