CHAPTER 35

[ C H A P T E R 35 ]

LATISHA VALENTINE

After what happened in the Eastern grounds, everyone went inside the mansion bearing silence as the common answers to all questions. I don't have time to think about anyone's sake right now other than thinking about my own safety. I can feel my chest being wrapped into a tight embrace, controlling my breathing. Anytime I could collapse with all this turbulence.

"Ha!" I yelled when I heard the door of my room shut too loud. Roshan purposely did that as his rage was immeasurable. I gulped when I noticed he's pacing back and forth. "Your grace, you won't believe him, right?" I said.

"I haven't heard from Laphel since we arrived," he uttered as he tried to calm himself down. He stopped walking and looked at me with confusion beaming on his amber orbs. "Has Magnus told you anything about him?" he added.

Napamaang ako. Come to think of it, I never ask Magnus regarding his sprinting around the Duchy. I thought he purposely went in unnoticed just like he always does, but why does the duke ask about Laphel's whereabouts?

"Erwan!" he yelled the Butler's name. Erwan immediately entered, catching his breath. Roshan pointed his index finger at him. "I want an intel regarding the borders. Bring Laphel back at all cost," he continued.

"Affirmative, your grace," Erwan uttered with full-attention to the duke's commanding voice. He didn't stay for too long and immediately left.

Napatingin ako kay Roshan. "Are you suspecting Laphel?" I asked him, trying not to conclude fast by how uneasy thinking something I can't decipher.

"How did Napoleon know Magnus is here aside from me, you and Blessime?" he asked me. He approached me in a fast stride and held my hand. "Laphel is the only one who knows the nook of each path in the borders. I commanded him to protect this land from invasion, but he hasn't been reporting ever since I left from Denver up to this very day. Didn't Magnus tell you anything?" he added.

Umiling ako. "He didn't tell me about him," I confessed. It was the truth, Magnus visited here the day before Annika's birthday but he didn't inform me about the pressing matters around the borders. If there is something going on, there should be a report.

He let me go. "Where did he get the information that Blessime and Magnus are creating a dispute through your order to crumble the line up of the candidates for election?" he said.

Napatahimik ako. It was our plan. I already told Roshan about my plan regarding this election and he did his best to support it. Reducing the number of running candidates for the election was our plan to secure Napoleon's win. No one knew that aside from the duke and my cousins.

Kaya hindi na nagulat si Roshan sa mga pinagsasabi ni Napoleon. I told the truth that I'm not doing anything in action, but I'm the one who created the ruse. How dare he call us unworthy of the duchess title? He even says we are not the duke's wife. Kill him, Latisha. Rage on, darling.

Shut up. I'm not in the mood to listen.

"Wife," the duke said. I slowly extend my hand to his arm, trying to calm him down. Nagwagi naman ako dahil unti-unti siyang kumalma. "Tell me he's not telling the truth," he added. His slender fingers slide through my cheeks, looking at me intently.

"Annabelle is dead, wife. Is she?" he asked.

Hindi ko siya masagot. My answer will either ease his trouble or create more. Nanatili akong nakatingin sa kanya at pinaintindi gamit ang aking mga mata na hindi ko din alam ang sagot sa tanong niya.

"I am confused too, your grace," I replied.

"I swear, I will kill that person toying with us." There was anger in his voice. He tucked me in an embrace and buried himself in my neck, inhaling my scent attempting to convince himself that it could calm him down. Hinayaan ko siya na ganoon ang posisyon namin ng ilang minuto.