Chapter 1

Charlotte POV

You know that saying 'If you want something done right, do it yourself?' Well, it couldn't be more accurate.  

If I listened to my gut and did this alone then I wouldn't be in this situation. I could've just gone in and slipped back out, done in 15 minutes, and be "home". I wouldn't call my house "home" I try not to be there often, but right now I want to be there. 

Instead, I'm in the cop car sitting next to this imbecile. I mean who decides that the one time they want to pull the fire alarm it's at the place they are robbing? God people are so fucking stupid and I don't have the patience for this. 

Marvin, I know Marvin who would actually look at a baby and think Marvin, took my bobby pins so I can't pick the lock on my handcuffs.  I don't know what to do. 

"Really Charlie this is the third time this week you've been arrested," Marvin chose to break the silence. Eighteenth time this month I thought proudly to myself. Did I mention I've only been in France for two months and I'm already on first-name bases with the cops? I mentally pat myself on the back for that.

"Is this a new record?" I reply in a very sarcastic way. I kinda feel bad for Marvin, Kinda. Marvin never responds to me. How rude, I was taught to always respond it's called being respectful. 

My mom taught me to be very respectful she was such a good mom. We always made sure that we would spend every Sunday together no matter how busy we were. Some Sundays were spent packing we moved around a lot. I've lived in every continent except Australia, Africa, and obviously Antarctica. We just moved from Russia to France because my mom met this guy on a dating app. It was weird I've never actually met someone who was serious about finding a guy on the app. I thought it was just a joke. unfortunately, the week after we moved my mom was killed in an accident. Now it's just me and my stepdad, I think that's what he is I mean my mom never married him, and I hate life without my mom. My stepdad went from all you could ever want from a dad to a horrible alcoholic father. He doesn't hit me or anything. I mean he has but not hard and it was an accident you could tell he regretted it. He does say hurtful things and just forgets about me.

I snap out of my thoughts as I feel the car turn around the three right turns before arriving at the station. The door is opened by Marvin who has such an exhausted look on his face. I think he needs his coffee and donuts. I'm not lying it's a real thing cops are addicted to them. I am left in a holding cell for what feels like 15 hours, but the clock on the wall tells me it is only an hour and a half. 

"Charlie," Officer Colton yells as he stands in front of the door. "Jesus I've been trying to get your attention for five minutes," he continues.

"Sorry," I mumble back. He opens the door and leads me to an interrogation room. Sheriff Harvey is already seated in the chair opposite of me looking through a file. I'm guessing it's mine.

"What happened to that incapable boy? Is he still-" I am cut off by him putting up his hand. Usually, I wouldn't let that slide, but tonight it seems like he had a long day. Harvey lets out a sigh as he rubs a hand down his face.

"Char I'm not sure what to do. I mean you're 18th arrest in one month and you've only been here for not even two full months, and no that's not a good thing," he says as he looks up at me. "There's not much I can do that will keep you here. You do know that this stuff goes on your record right?" He asks.

"Yes, I do," I reply trying to hide my smile. Harvey opens his mouth to speak but is interrupted by the door being opened.

"Sorry to interrupt, but we have a small problem," Marvin comes in. When Harvey returns with Marvin they both have looks of pity on their faces. I hate that.

"The fuck you looking at me like that for," I snap at them. To my surprise, no one yells at me for my language. Harvey sits down in front of me.

"Hey, I have bad news. Umm... your umm," he starts before I interrupt him.

"Spit it out," I yell back.

"Your stepdad overdosed and didn't survive. I'm sorry," he says scanning my face for my reaction. I keep my face blank.

"Does that mean I'm gonna go into the system or an orphanage?" I ask. I know he wasn't surprised at my reaction he knows I didn't have a good relationship with my stepdad. However, I was shocked at what he said next.

"No, we checked and it turns out you have brothers. I think you owe them a big thank you," Harvey begins.

"WHAT?! I'm an only child and why should I thank them? Thanks for being my last resort and not being in my life for the first 16 years," I say very sarcastically.

"I'll explain if you'll let me," he pauses. When I don't interrupt he continues. "As I was saying it was gonna be hard to get you to stay in France and not go to juvie, but your brother somehow pulled some strings so instead of juvie you get to go home and live with your family," he finishes. I am too shocked to come up with any witty comment. I mean how do you respond? All I know is I'm not gonna thank them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of chapter one. I hope you like it. Let me know what you think so far.

❤️Lexi