Chapter 24

Charlotte's POV

I couldn't sleep last night and started getting ready for the day at 4:00 in the morning. The DMV appointment is at 8:00 so we have to leave at 6:00 because it's a two-hour drive.

"Charlie, it's time to wake up we have to leave soon," Gio says coming into my room around 5:00. I walk out of the bathroom. "I guess someone's ready," he says leaving my room. I grab my phone and water bottle, which I bring almost everywhere I go. It's a small issue. We walk into the kitchen where Vinny and Nic are. 

"Someone's excited," Vinny says. I shrug trying to keep a nonchalant face, but come on this is what all little kids look forward to turning 16, getting a car, driving, getting freedom.

"What do you want?" Nic asks. I didn't want him to have to cook for me and the others who are still asleep and I'm not that hungry, but knowing my brothers I'll have to eat something.

"I'll just have some cereal thanks though," I say making my way to the cabinet full of cereal. I like cereal because I can pour as much or as little and add milk to make it seem like a good portion. I finish my breakfast clean my plate and sit with my brothers before having to leave.

"Ready?" Gio asks me.

"Yep," I say running to put my shoes on. I say bye to Vinny and Nic and head out the door. Gio and I start our drive.

"You're sure you have everything right?" I ask him for the millionth time.

"My answer has yet to change since you last asked," he says.

"Just checking." 

"You know that when you get your licenses you don't get to do anything you want. You still need permission from a brother to go anywhere and you need to let us know where you are and going," he says.

"Okay," I say. Nothing too bad. 

"One more thing," he gets my attention once again.

"What?" I ask.

"You have to follow the laws."

"Well yeah of course," I say. That's a given I'm a good driver and not stupid.

"You got your one free one don't slip up again," he says. What is he talking about? 

"I haven't even driven yet," I tell him.

"That's where you're wrong. Remember the day you went skating with your brothers?" He asks.

"Yeah, but I had adults in the car," I defend myself.

"They don't count. You have to drive with 21-year-olds or older," he says.

"How do you know about that?" I ask amazed.

"I don't know how many times I have to tell you, but I will always find out," he says looking at me for a second. How much does he know about me then? We finally reach the parking lot just a bit before 8:00. Gio grabs all we have to bring and we head inside. After 30 minutes, a quick eye exam, the inspection of my birth certificate, passport, permit test, and of course the picture for the license we are heading back to the car.