Chapter 39

Vinny's POV

Christmas break was good for everyone as we all needed a break, but Gio made us come back at the crack of fucking dawn and I'm still jet-lagged and behind on sleep. I tried to convince him we could leave later, but he's so stubborn and it's his way or the highway. 

I woke up at midnight due to my internal clock set on Italian time. I tried to go back to sleep, but that didn't work. At 4:30 I went into the kitchen where Nic was already cooking way.

"Couldn't sleep too?" I ask him.

"Yep, stupid jet lag," he says. Couldn't agree more brother. I got the newspaper and a cup of coffee and read the paper. An hour later Gio came in. The princess couldn't sleep huh? I may be a bit mad at him, but he deserves it. Everyone else should be waking up soon because it's the first day back at school, except Mat who still has about a week more. I heard the soft sound of footprints coming down the stairs and knew Charlie would soon enter the kitchen.

"Good Morning," I say lowering the paper and folding it as she enters. I hand it over for Gio to read next.

"Morning," she says her voice sounding exhausted. I look up and holy shit.

"Charlie, are you feeling okay? You're pale as a ghost."

"I'm just tired." I feel her forehead and it's burning. I grab a thermometer and take her temperature and it reads 101º. 

"You have a fever go back upstairs and get some rest," I say. Around 7:30 the three come downstairs. 

"Morning," Gio says. They all grunt. I'm getting they aren't happy to go back. "Please be good today." Sandro scoffs and Gio glares at him. Luca walks towards the stairs and is about to yell for Charlie.

"She's not feeling well so she is staying home," Nic says before Luca can yell. 

"Is she okay?" Bruno asks.

"She will be," I say. Ten minutes later the younger three leave. Now the day has started. 

"The police reports are showing the police getting oddly suspicious about the recent shipments they almost caught our last shipment we have to lay low," Gio says.

"Agreed." We continue our debrief as Mat walks in around 9:30. He sits and eats the rest of the French toast Nic made which was quite a bit. 

"What's the plan for today?" Mat asks weridly happy. I want his energy.

"Well you need to make sure the hotels and stuff are running smoothly," Gio says. 

"Copy that," Mat says doing a two-finger salute before leaving the room. I go upstairs to check on Charlie around 11 and she is fast asleep so I leave her be. We are planning to head to the warehouse at 1 while Mat stays here with Charlie. At 12:30 Gio and I go to see if Charlie is up.

"You're awake sleepy head," I say.

"Don't call me that." Someone may be a bit grumpy.

"Are you hungry?" Gio asks. She shakes her head. "You have to eat something so I made you some toast with butter and honey." 

"Thanks." 

"Nic, Gio, and I are gonna head out for a bit, but Mat will be here if you need anything, but before that let's check your temperature," I say. I feel her head and it's still hot, I run the thermometer on her head hoping it's the same or lower. I look at it and it says 104º. I'm no doctor, but that's not good. I show Gio and he looks concerned. Charlie climbs deeper into her blankets.

"Are you cold?" Gio asks.

"Yes, It's freezing in here," she says. I can see sweat beads on her head. This is bad.