Chapter 30

Elliot's POV

"When did you get back? I thought you would be in detention like you always are because you can't seem to listen. Is it really that hard or are you just incapable? You should be more like your brother," my oh-so-loving mother says. Kidding she's not loving or at least not to me.

"I've been here all week because you said I wasn't allowed to go to school, remember?" I ask. It's true one grade dropped to a B+ and she said I shouldn't get the privilege of school If I'm gonna fail.

"Don't put words into my mouth boy," she yells as my dad walks in.

"Are you disrespecting your mother again? Use your brain. Would Grant do that and if the answer is no then why would you? You're so ungrateful. Apologize and go upstairs now!" He yells. I say sorry and go upstairs. They will forget about me till tomorrow afternoon.

 All they say are lies. I can listen I just choose not to. That way I can be in detention, but further from them. Why not play a sport instead? Because they won't let me unless I wanna play tennis, because Grant plays tennis. I'm not my brother they don't understand that. I'm smart, but not like Grant, I'm good-looking, but not like Grant, I have friends, but not like Grant's friends. I've had to learn to take care of myself because I'll never be accepted. 

I feel alone a lot, but then I met Charlotte. When she asked if I felt like a burden and like I didn't belong in a place I should. I felt like someone finally understood what I am feeling. Which is good and bad. I don't want anyone to have to feel like this. 

There are some good sides. I can do whatever because my parents don't care. I only get stuff taken away the few times they check in on my life and if I don't have Grant standards I get in trouble, but that happens very few times a year.

I climb out my window and start on my way to the office. I could walk out the front door and still be unnoticed. I walk through the familiar path in the forest and through the park. The night is a cold crisp and quiet. No one, but me to disturb the peace. I take a left and walk away from the main part of town. I soon see the building come into view. A place I first went to at nine when everything at home started. I ran into a dude in a suit that night and he brought me here. I put in my code and wait for the buzz of the door signaling it is unlocked. I walk down the hallways and to the hangout room.

"Hey Elliot," Chase says. I say hi with a nod of my head. "Gun, drink, or both?"

"Both. Heaven knows I need it," I say. I grab the gun and go to one of the shooting lanes. I start to shoot and bullet after bullet rings in the air. I put the gun down when it runs out. I'm sweating and out of breath. I look up to see all the bullets hit the same place between the eyes of the target. I sit down and take a big sip from the bottle Chase hands me.

"You okay?" He asks.

"Never better," I reply. An obvious lie. Everything sucks. My parents are horrible and all I can think about is Charlie. I'll never get to see her except in Italian because of her brothers. We were good friends, but that time was over. I don't know how I became friends with them they are impossible to get along with.

"Elliot!" Chase yells.

"What?"

"The boss wants you." The boss aka the guy in the suit that brought me here. I head down a hall to the winding stairs and knock on the door at the top.