Chapter 86

Thea was almost close to the bakery when she spotted Killian step out of it with a brown bag in hand. She smiled when she saw him hold the door for an older woman and her young son. Little kindness does go a long way, even if you never get to see what the outcome is, it's always nice to help.

Killian was about to grab one of the outside tables when he spotted her. The smile that lit up his face at the sight of her sent butterflies to her stomach. He always did the littlest things that made her feel giddy.

"Hey, beautiful." He said as she walked up to him,

"Hi." She stopped in front of him with the goofy smile still on her face,

Killian's gaze roamed her face like he was trying to memorise her features. He leaned in slowly and kissed her.
"Hey." He said again, his forehead on hers,

"Howdy."

Killian pulled back with a grin and amusement in his eyes. A chuckle escaped him as he placed a hand on the small of her back.

"Come." They walked to one of the tables outside the bakery and sat across from each other.

Thea slid one of the drinks to him and Killian opened up the bag and directed it at her,
"Here."

She pulled out a glazed doughnut,
"Thanks love."

She looked up to find Killian smiling at her, the snacks forgotten.
"What?"

"Say that again."

She felt her cheeks go red as she realized what she'd called him. She looked down at the table shyly.
"It slipped."

"I like it."

Her gaze lifted from the table to meet his,
"I'll make sure it keeps slipping then."

Killian smiled and shook his head,
"You're cute."

Killian took out a piece of doughnut and soon they were enjoying the tasty snack and their drink.

"It looks like I'm going to be hanging with your sister some more."

"Oh?" Killian didn't seem concerned about her hanging out with Thea anymore,

"Yea, she'll be teaching me how to defend myself." Killian looked pleased, "Atlas brought up the idea and I thought it was brilliant."

Killian nodded,
"I'm glad you're going for it."

"Me too." Thea took a bite of her doughnut, chewed and swallowed, "You know, I always wondered how you and Mac could be complete opposites when you grew up together."

"Yea, well," Killian took a sip of his drink, "Mac wasn't always like this."

Thea studied his face as he seemed to get lost in a memory.

"A lot has changed from the little kids we were in high school." He said, "Sometimes I miss the little fights that seemed then to be the beginning of World War III."

Thea smiled as she could imagine that normal siblings' dynamic. She didn't have that with Atlas because it had just been both of them taking care of each other. Mostly Atlas was taking care of her but she always got along with him because it was either that or having no one to play with.

"Whatever happened with Mac must have affected you as well." Thea studied his face,

Killian looked at her and dropped his gaze,
"It was rough for everyone." He said, "Mac was so stuck in the rut for so long that I never thought she'd get out of it."

Killian inhaled deeply, feeling the heaviness settle on his chest,
"I felt completely helpless." He said, "I can't even begin to imagine what my parents went through."