Chapter 28

Aaron's POV

I gulp another glass of whiskey through my throat and tapped on the counter for a refill. The bartender filled it up, and I held it, ready to gulp down so it could ease my pain that had been clenching my chest since morning, but the alcohol didn't seem to work. It tastes nothing but water that I've been swallowing through my throat for the past few hours. But before it could reach my mouth, a strong grip grabbed the glass away from my hand and placed it on the counter with a thud. I moved my gaze up, ready to beat the shit out of the person who dared to interrupt me. My gaze met with the pallest shade of green pair, and I scoffed, looking away from him.

"Don't bother me, Ace."

"For how long have he been drinking?"
He asked the bartender, ignoring my words, and sat beside me on the bar stool.

"It's been a few hours, sir."
He said silently, and I took the glass gulping it down my throat with a straight face.

"Aaron, look at yourself! What are you doing? Are you just going to let Isabella go like this?"

He placed his hand on my shoulder, and my swollen red eyes snapped at him.

"How do you know about this?"

"Grace told me."
He replied, placing a black folder on the counter.

"Grace? Grace Myers?"
I looked at him confused.

How do they know each other? And how does she know he and I know each other?

"Yes, but that's not important. You should tell Isabella everything."
He said.

"She already knows everything. She hates me. She didn't even let me come close to her. She's scared of me. I've become a monster for her."
I clenched my fists as tears threatened to fall from my eyes, fogging my glasses.

"No, she does not think of you like that. She just needs some time. It was her father.. and she still loves you. You should talk to her, there might be some other reason behind it."
He looked at me.

I looked at him and ran my fingers through my already disheveled hair because of running fingers through them multiple times out of frustration.

"She thinks she's still being stalked. I already told Karl to stop following her after her father's death. She won't understand, I did it to protect her! And now she told me she will call the cops if she finds anyone stalking her. And she doesn't want me to go near her. How will I protect her like this? How will she even let me explain myself to her like this!"

"She won't get into trouble now that her father is not here. You don't have to worry about it. You just have to give her some time and explain yourself."

"I'm worried. What if my enemies try to hurt her? What will I do then!"
I slam my fist on the counter in anger and clench it tighter.

"Only Vincent is capable of hurting her, and my men are already spying him, so nothing will happen to her."

I sighed heavily, assuring myself by his words.

"Stop drinking. You are already drunk. You will damage your liver if you keep on drinking like this."

He said sternly and motioned the bartender to stop pouring drinks for me.

"Alcohol isn't even working. How will it affect me? It tastes nothing but water. I'm only hurting here. It pains so fucking much."
I said through my tears and tapped my finger on my chest.

"I can't live with her. She makes me want to be a better person. She's the oxygen that feeds my flames. Without her, my existence is questionable. How will I live without her when I never really lived before her?"

A tear rolled down my cheek, and Ace sighed, holding me from my shoulders.

"Get up! I will take you to your apartment. You need to rest and regain your energy. You can't win your love back like this."

I look at him as his words feel sincere coming out of his mouth.

It's the same man talking who thinks love as a mundane thing, isn't he?

I got up and stumbled a little as I made my way towards my car, and Ace drove us to the Skyline. I stepped into my apartment, which was a total mess just like me. Before going to Carmine's, I stopped at home to destroy the files I had in which Isabella's information was present. I made the apartment a total mess after burning those papers. Broken vase, her clothes scattered outside my wardrobe. I walked towards my bedside and grabbed the frame, which held our photograph clicked by the waitress of the restaurant where we celebrated Isabella's birthday in Venice. She shone brightly just like the necklace around her neck and the beautiful stars behind us. I trace the lines of her face with my fingers and sunk into the mattress as a sad smile tugs on my lips as I promise myself.

"I promised to make your life peaceful and happy. But I am the one who hurt you the most now. I'm so sorry, sunshine. I will change myself and become better. I will become the man that you deserve, I promise. I will give you as much time as you need, and I will not let anyone hurt you or take you away from me during it."

I looked at Isabella as she walked out of her office, greeted everyone with the fake smile plastered on her face and called a cab before sitting in it, and the cab drove towards her home. I pressed on the ignition and followed the cab from a good distance. I look at Isabella as she gets out of the cab and walks into her apartment safely. I sighed and drove to my apartment. I walked inside my bedroom and loosened my tie. I sat on the bed and looked at my bedside frame.

"I'm sorry, sunshine. I tried. I tried so hard, but I just couldn't stay away from you. It's been a week. I can't focus on anything. I try to keep myself busy with work so I don't have time to think about you, but it doesn't help. I just follow you to and from work to home so I can reassure myself that you are safe. How much more time do you need, sunshine? I know, I can see even you are in pain. Knowing that the reason for your misery is me makes me want to kill my - "

My phone rang, gaining my attention. I cleared my throat before answering.

"Yes?"

"My men just got the information that Vincent is coming to DC tomorrow and without any bodyguards. It's time for your vengeance."
Ace spoke from the other side of the phone.

"You know well what to do then."
I clenched my jaw as it twitched up from a side forming in a dark smirk.

"Yes, I will order them to kidnap him at that right time."
Ace said mischievously.

"Good."

"Aaron, are you still following Isabella?"
He asked silently.

"Yes. But tomorrow is the weekend, and she'll be safe at home, so tomorrow is the right day to finally end things with Vincent."
I said curtly.

"Ok. I will inform you then."

I hummed and hung up the call and curled my fists tightly.

"Just a few more hours till your heart stop beating, Vincent!"