Chapter 7

The truck had broken down and we were now stuck in some small abandoned town called Normanville in Rural West Virginia

The truck had broken down and we were now stuck in some small abandoned town called Normanville in Rural West Virginia. I was looking under the hood trying to find out what the heck was wrong. But since I wasn’t very handy with cars. I didn’t know what was wrong. 

          I let out a heavy sigh and shut the hood in defeat. “ Well what are we gonna do now? We are in the middle of nowhere with a broken down truck.” I leaned against the truck. 

         Anais responded back. “ How about we search the town? Maybe there will be a vehicle of some sort we can use.” 

           I nodded and looked at Kolson. He had a blank expression on his face and he looked tired. I turned back to Anais. “ Well then. Let’s start looking for a car.” 

               We started walking away from the truck. It still had the supplies in it. But I figured we could just go get it later. I had my knife out as we got closer to town. Well it wasn’t much of a town. Just a few houses, a school, a post office, and an old auto repair shop. 

            “ This place is a dump.” Anais mumbled under her breath as we got closer to the Auto repair shop. 

            “ Yep. Everything is run down.” The town was not in good shape and it looked like it was a very poor area before the world ended. 

          “ Ugh it stinks!” Kolson covered his nose with his fingers as we entered the garage.  

 “ It’s just Motor oil. It doesn’t smell that bad Kolson.” I replied as I opened the door to the truck parked inside. 

              I got inside and looked down and saw some wires. I peered my head out and looked at Anais. “ You know how to hotwire a car?”

           She looked at me and then walked over to the driver's seat. “ Yeah. I did it in the past. When I stole cars.” She laughed slightly. 

                  “ You stole cars?” I raised my eyebrow and gave her a puzzled look. 
     She sighs and then speaks. “ Only a few times. I wasn’t proud of myself then.” 

         “ Well it’s in the past and you're better now.” I got out and let her have a look at the wires. 

              I stood over next to Kolson and smiled down at him. He smiled back.  A few minutes passed by and We heard Anais groan loudly and she got out of the truck. “ I tried it several times. Looks like we have to keep searching.” 

           I sighed and leaned against the workbench that was covered with old tools and small tins of oil. “ Alright then.” 

             I walked out first and walked a few feet. I scanned around the area looking for any other vehicles. There was nothing. No abandoned cars on the road or in the driveway of any houses I could see from where I was standing.