Chapter 22

9 months later… 

           I walked into my room with a towel wrapped around my hair and a robe on. James was getting dressed on the bed and putting his boots on. Ever since we got married he had moved in with us. It took a while to get used to at first. Kolson was also now 12 and he acted like a turd sometimes but he was often still his cheery happy self. His coldness was still there. But only when you pushed him too hard. 

                    Fearrington had grown in size and was thriving. We had around 243 residents now and everything was going well. Crops were growing bountifully and nothing major had occurred in the last 9 months. We searched around a bit for the Psycho George. But wielded nothing. We all just hoped he either left the area for good or the Rotters got him.

                 “ James, have you seen my hairbrush?” I asked as I opened my drawers looking for some clothes.  

                  “ I think Anais took it.” He got up off the bed and stretched. 

       “ Ugh. Anais! Did you take my hairbrush? “ I shouted her name. 

                    She soon yelled from her room. “ No! Why would I take it?”

     “ Because you always like to take my things!” I yelled back. 

               “ Do not!” Anais shouted back. 

               “ Do too!” I yelled again. 

           “ Ugh quiet. Look when me and Doug go on our run today I’ll get you another hair brush. How does that sound?” He asked. 

                 I smiled and walked over and put my hand on his shoulders and quickly kissed him. “ Yeah that sounds good.”

              He smiled. “ Okay I’ll be back later. Bye.” With that he walked out of the bedroom and left the house. 

              Half an hour later the three of us were sitting in the kitchen having breakfast. Anais had made eggs once again for the 3rd week in a row. I still refuse to eat them because I will always hate eggs.  

             “ Claire look I get it you hate eggs. But seriously. I make them good.”  She giggled and wasn’t paying attention to the eggs in the pan. 

                     “ Haha very true and your eggs are burning.” I pointed over to the pan on the stove.

          “ Gah!” She quickly grabbed the spatula and tried to fix her mistake but the eggs were now burnt. The kitchen had also started to get smoky. 

                  I waved my hands around in the air and coughed. “ My god Anais, you should have been watching those eggs. Kolson is gasping for air right here.”

                Kolson was coughing and covering his mouth from all the smoke. I slightly laughed. Anais let out a sigh and turned off the stove. She then thought about it for a second and she started laughing. “ I'm an idiot.”

                I laughed and replied to her comment. “ You aren’t an idiot. You just burned eggs.”

               “ Well thanks… I guess.” She answered and shrugged. 

               “ Well I’m gonna go meet with Kala. I'll see you guys later.” I got up from my stool and was about to walk out. 

                 “ Tell her I said hi!” Kolson shouts from behind.