| 11 |

I fought my way all the way up to the attic with all the painting supplies. Once I get up there, there should be plastic on the floor and tape over all the things that shouldn't get painted. That was Sunghoon's job.

As I stepped up into the attic Sunghoon turned around from taping up the windowsill. He had showed up in a pair of black sweats and a long sleeved white shirt, which he just rolled up to his elbows anyways. He looked effortlessly good, and that might be the reason why Sunmi was so mad about him helping me out today.

"You survived," he remarked with a small smile and I just nodded at him as I dropped everything on the floor in front of me.

"Oh... my poor back," I complained and arched my backwards, earning a satisfying crack from it.

"The best," he cooed at me and I just nodded in agreement.

"So I have the brushes, the paint, literally everything there is needed for painting," I stated and he nodded at me, "in about... four hours, at lunch, I'll get us food, and if we're not done by then. I'll continue painting afterwards. I might need more than one layer."

"Woah, woah. I'm helping with everything. If we have to paint more after lunch, then that's how it is," he reminded me, making me let out a small smile at him.

"I can't convince you otherwise, can I?" I questioned him.

"I mean... you could try," he shrugged at me, "but you won't be able to."

"Fair enough," I stated, "grab your brush, a bucket of paint and let's get going."

He grinned widely before rushing over and getting everything ready for the both of us to paint. We stood for a while in silence and just painted our own wall.

"So..." I trailed off, making him hum at me, "you and Sunmi have been together for a while."

"We have," he agreed with me.

"But... are you happy?" I questioned and there was a short moment of silence.

"Why?" he questioned back and I subconsciously shrugged.

"I don't know. You just seem a bit... meh whenever you're over," I stated, "it almost seems like she is controlling your every move, and when you don't do what she wants you to, she gets all moody."

"I mean... sure, she can be a bit controlling once in a while, but you know all about that," he stated with a small laugh.

"Tell me about it," I nodded in agreement.

"But I guess it's fine," he assured and I looked over at him.

"Do you love her?" I questioned and he slowly stopped painting before picking it back up again right away.

"What do you mean?" he questioned.

"I mean... you've been together for a long time, have you said that you love her?" I questioned and he stayed silent.

"She has said it," he replied.

"But have you?" I questioned.

"Why is this relevant?" he let out a small laugh and turned to look at me with a puzzled look.

"As much as she is my sister I feel a need to make sure you're alright in that relationship," I excused, making him let out a small laugh, "I know better than anyone else what a tyrant my sister can be."

"I haven't said it back," he stated before turning back around, "let's talk about something else," he excused and continued rolling the paint roller up and down the wall, "how about you and Jake?"

"Oh... we're having so much fun," I replied and returned to painting again.

"How long have you been dating?" he questioned, making me let out a small laugh.

"How many times do I have to say it? We're not," I shook my head in disbelief, "never have, never will."

"Are you sure?" he questioned and I hummed at him.

"If we were to ever date and he actually liked me in a romantic way, would you really think I was allowed to paint the walls with you?" I let out a small laugh, "nah... once Jake likes a girl he makes sure he is the only boy she is around. It's quite cute actually. I remember him liking a girl back in Australia, when she had agreed to go to the mall with some of her other friends, where there just so happened to be one other boy. Jake immediately insisted on him going as well, and stayed by her side the whole time, not giving the other boy a chance to speak with her."

"Sounds possessive," Sunghoon commented and I just shrugged.

"It wasn't in a loud possessive way," I shook my head, "oddly enough. Jake managed to make sure she gave him all her attention all the time. I guess he just has that charm over people. He never once said anything about the other boy or pulled her away from him. He just had her eyes on him the whole time, in some magical way."

"I wish I could do that too," Sunghoon sighed, making me let out a small laugh.

"What are you talking about? You already have a girlfriend," I pointed out to him.

"I think she's seeing other boys behind my back," Sunghoon casually said, making me abruptly turn around and look at him.

"She is what now?" I questioned in shock.

"I don't know, it's probably just an idea I got myself," he sighed before looking over his shoulder, "why are you looking at me like that?"

"Because you just said my sister might be cheating on her boyfriend, who just so happens to be my childhood friend," I exclaimed at him.

"Will you quiet down? I don't need her hearing this." he hissed at me.

"I'm gonna confront her about it," I stated and he immediately shook his head, "I won't let her know you told me."

"Please don't. You'll just make it worse than it already is," he shook his head at me, making me sigh and look over towards the window before my eyes squinted and I walked over and watched the girl walk down the sidewalk, "who is it?"

"Jiyeon," I replied and he quickly rushed over to my side to watch as well.

"Do you think Jungwon will confess soon?" Sunghoon stated as I watched my brother rush out of the house and down to Jiyeon, who immediately latched herself onto him in a tight hug.

"If this is what I think it is... it can either go two ways," I shook my head at him.

"Is she alright?" Sunghoon cocked his head to the side as I just shook my head at him and watched the younger girl cry into the shoulder of her comfort person, who looked to be utterly confused and frantic to find out what was happening.

"Bring her inside you idiot," I sighed at the sight, "you can't just let her cry on an open street."

"Why? What's wrong with her?" Sunghoon turned to me and I glanced over at him before letting out a small huff.

"But then you can't tell anyone," I stated and he simply nodded in agreement with me, "her mom drinks, and is never home. She just tells Jungwon she is working or on a business trip. Her dad... is a mentally abusive asshole, and my guess is that it got too much for her now," I stated and looked down to Jungwon guiding Jiyeon inside of the house, "poor girl, she's the purest human being there is and just wants the best for everyone. I don't know anyone who can brighten up a room like her."

"Sometimes... the brightest and happiest people are the ones that hurt the most," Sunghoon excused and I hummed as the two youngsters disappeared into the house.

"Maybe... but she deserves better nonetheless," I sighed at the thought, "I know Jungwon would take good care of her, but I'm scared he'll never have the guts to tell her."

"Oh... he will," Sunghoon assured and patted my shoulder, "trust me. If I know a thing or two about that boy, it is that now he just wants to protect her even more than he already does."

"As he should," I remarked, earning a small laugh from Sunghoon.

"Now if we don't continue right now we won't be done before Monday," he reminded me and I nodded in agreement before we returned to painting once more.