Part-8

Chapter 8

FLASHBACK

6 years ago

RILEY'S POV

Today is my first day as an intern at Civil Hospital. I woke up early and decided to wear black tight jeans and a full sleeve grey shirt with black and white flannel. I arrived at the hospital with sufficient time. I saw other interns there and stood with them. We are going to be assigned to a senior doctor today.

As we were waiting a lady approached. "I'm going to call your names when called please come forward and take your badges, the name of the doctors you're assigned to is also written on it".

She started calling everyone " Riley Walker" I walked to her she handed me my badge and I looked at the name of the doctor I'm assigned to is Dr.Wilson.

After handing everyone their badges the lady said we should go to reception to ask about the whereabouts of the doctors we're assigned to. I went to the reception and was told that Dr.Wilson is currently in her office. It took me a good 20 minutes to find her office. I knocked on the door of her office.

"Come in" a voice came from inside. I opened the door and went inside. She didn't look up from the file she was reading. After standing there for 5 minutes I started to get annoyed so to capture her attention I cleared my throat. She still didn't look up from the file.

I was so annoyed at this point but tried to remain calm since she is not going to acknowledge me anytime soon, so I should sit down I thought to myself. So I sat down in the chair across from her desk.

"Who permitted you to sit down?" She said finally looking up from the file she looked pissed. I rolled my eyes before saying " you were not acknowledging my presence so I thought why should I tire myself from standing" I simply stated.

Somehow, this pissed her more but I decided not to show that I noticed. "You were 20 minutes late if you want to get acknowledged next time be on time".

" I was on time but it took me 20 minutes to find your office" I snapped back.

"This just shows how much of a slow person you are, that it took you 20 minutes just to find my office".

Now she's pissing me off. I took a deep breath trying to calm myself " I'm sorry, I will be on time from tomorrow" I said through gritted teeth, trying to be civil. I certainly don't want to get on the bad side of my boss on the first day.

"From tomorrow, not today?" What's her damn problem? "From today" I corrected myself.

She got up from her seat and went outside of her office, not knowing what to do I decided to follow her. She looked over her shoulder seeing I'm following her "Looks like you've got enough brain to know to follow me".

She said sarcastically. I decided to ignore her remark.

We went to a hospital ward and she started examining the patient charts. I decided to do that the same. I was checking charts one by one. I was about to turn towards a new patient but a nurse was about to give this patient a dosage of a medicine.

" Stop," I said to the nurse before she could give it to the patient. "Madam, I'll appreciate it if you'll let me do my work," the nurse said reaching towards the patient. I grabbed her hand." I said stop". " What's your problem miss?" The nurse yelled. "At least listen to what I have to say?". I said calmly. "Why should I? You're just disturbing me?". Again the nurse shouted.

" What's all this commotion is about?" Dr.Wilson shouted. Nurse flinched at her voice. "D-Doctor she is not letting me give this dosage to the patient," the nurse said.

Dr.Wilson turned towards me expecting me to explain.

"I was stopping her from giving him that medicine because it's Claritin and he is allergic to Clarinex" I explained calmly. She picked up his chart and examined it.

"Who recommended this medicine to this patient?" She inquired calmly. "Dr.Jonathan" the nurse replied. "Give him my message, that he should at least make sure to check patient's chart before recommending a medicine," she said clearly annoyed.

Again without a single word, she walked towards her office, I decided to follow but this woman clearly needs to at least tell me before moving on her own.