Part-28

Chapter 28

The surgery ended late at night. I went to on-call room to sleep. I woke up to the sound of buzzing of my pager.

I rubbed my eyes saw that Dr.Wilson was paging me. I looked at the time, I've barely slept for 5 hours.

I graoned but still got up and went to Dr.Wilson's office.

"You're going to assist me in aortic stenosis surgery, here's the file of the patient. The surgery is in 2 hours".

"Can you ask someone else to assist you? I've slept only for 5 hours and I'm really tired. I want to get a few hours of more sleep" I said politely, hoping she would agree.

"You should get used to lack of sleep. You're lucky that you got 5 hours of sleep. Sometimes, you'll have to perform at much less" she said without looking up from her file.

"Okay" I said and went out. I seriously wanna kill her. I know being a surgeon is demanding but she could've let me of the hook this once but NO! She just have to be a bitch.

I sighed and went to cafeteria to get a coffee. Because I know I won't be able to perform the surgery without it. After buying the coffee, I went to common room and started to study the file of patient.

Hmm, it's a rare case. Only one in a million people have this type of heart condition. At least, the surgery is going to be worth it.

I spent the next 2 hours studying the case. After that, I went to prepare the O.R and then to Dr.Wilson's office to call her. I knocked on the door "Come in". "O.R is ready".

Without answering, she got up from her chair and started to walk in the direction of O.R. I've gotten used to her being irresponsive.

Being the second surgeon, I opened the thoracic cavity and Dr.Wilson started to perform the surgery.

After surgery, I went to Dr.Wilson's office. "Come in" I went in.

"This surgery cannot be performed by this method find another" she handed me my report which I prepared on a case.

"Okay" I said and took the file from her.

"Go and make the rounds" I nodded and went to make rounds. After making rounds, I made my way towards Dr Wilson's office. I looked at the time it's 1 am. I knocked on the door "Come in".

I went in "Is there anything else for me to do?". "No, but prepare the report by morning".

I clenched my jaw at this and bit my tongue, deciding not to say anything against it. I mumbled a small okay and walked out of her office.

Great, I'm not gonna get any sleep. I sighed and made my way towards the common room. And started to prepare the report. Hours went by, as I was preparing the report, I finished the report and looked at the time. It's 8 am. I'm late but whatever. She's the one who wanted the report by morning.

I made my way towards her office and knocked on the door. "Come in" I went inside. "You're late" she said without looking up from her file.

I rolled my eyes and said "I was working on the report and didn't notice the time". "Does it mean it's done?" She asked raising an eyebrow.

Without saying anything, I put the file on her desk. "Here, the surgery is in a hour" she said handing me a file.

"In a hour?" Is she serious? "Yes". "But, don't you think it's way too much little time to prepare for a surgery?". "It's your mistake you're late, now don't further waste your time and go through the file".

I took the file from her and went to study it. Luckily, I've performed this surgery before with Dr.Wilson.

I prepared the O.R and after surgery I went to Dr Wilson's office and she told me to make rounds. After making rounds I returned to her office.

"Do this again and Find another way to do this case, this one is not the best"

She said holding the file out for me.

"And I want the report by morning".

At this, something inside me went off and I said "What do you think I am?"