Chapter 1- Trouble (Edited)

Picture of Jules above^

PLEASE READ THE SIDE NOTE BEFORE STARTING❤️
(This is the first book I've ever written so please, have mercy.)

~Thank you and Enjoy~

Jules~

I'm running.

I'm always running.

I push my bag higher up my shoulder and shove through the people walking along the sidewalk. Nothing, but terror was running through me and it wasn't going away anytime soon. Even though I'd made it out, there was no doubt I was still scared. Scared he would find me. Use me, just like he always did.

He always found me.

Not anymore. I was determined to make it. To disappear from the life I never wanted to be accustomed to. I'd run away from the place I'd thought was supposed to be my safe haven. The place that had given me a false sense of security.

And I wasn't going back.

I pick up my pace when I hear the familiar faint sound of footsteps behind me, matching my rhythm. I don't have to turn around to know it's him. The one person I'm desperately trying to get away from. The one man who's the cause all of my hurt.

Ryker.

My moms boyfriend.

Glancing back, I can see his large form catching up with me and by the looks of it, he's pissed. I push my legs faster as I weave around poles and pedestrians. Knowing the things he'd do when he's that angry only made me push myself that much harder.

I shake my head at the thought. Those things...children should never have to go through any of that. The abuse...

Stop it, Jules.

Of course, I had my mother. I was never lacking in that department. Still, that never made a difference. She was either always high or indifferent to what was going on with me. I don't know when I'd realized that she never once cared for me, but I did. I'd realized it one night as I was laying limp on the bathroom floor.

It had taken me months to get over it. I didn't want to believe it and yet, the truth was right there in my face. When I'd come to the realization that I would rather kill myself than stay, I made the decision to choose my own future. Whether that meant to live or die, it didn't matter. I wanted out.

So I ran.

With a duffel bag stuffed full of clothes- a hoodie, jeans, and my only pair of shoes- I'd thought that sneaking out the back window was my best option. The doors were too creaky and I was sure they'd hear me if I'd attempted it. The last time I'd checked, my mother had been sitting in the living room with Ryker, most likely chugging down beers and sniffing coke off the living room table.

I'd thought I was home free, crossing the front yard and making it across the street when I heard the front door burst open. I turned, making eye contact with Ryker who stood in the doorway, a scowl on his face. I didn't have to think about anything right then. I just turned and started booking it into the city. I could hear him yell after me, but ignored it as I shot into oncoming traffic.

I'd gotten far enough to where I had thought he'd just let me go. Let me be. I mean, they never wanted me there anyways. Wouldn't it just be best if I disappeared? Still, I knew better. He was never going to let me go that easily. He never did.

Gripping onto the strap of my bag, I ran across the street just as a car goes flying past my back. Missing me by an inch, thank god.

I stop and turn around, paying them no mind as I search the street behind me. I hear them honk and throw a few choice words at me before speeding off, but it falls on deaf ears. I'm too focused on Ryker as he watches me from across. I've been running for miles and yet, he's not letting up.