Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

"Should we wake them nicely or be mean?" Caden's voice barely registered in my mind as I went in and out of consciousness. I didn't hear a response, so I figured they left to let Mina and I sleep. 

I couldn't have been anymore wrong. 

Freezing cold water cascaded down on top of Mina and I, effectively waking us up. Mina and I both sit up, gasping for air. She shrieks and jumps out of the bed, looking every bit as cold as I felt. I peeled the wet sheets away from my body and stood up from the sopping wet bed. I was so cold, I was shaking inside and out. I peered up at Caden and Tav who were on the floor laughing like hyenas. My eyes widened as I saw Talon standing in the doorway staring at Mina and I with a small smile on his face. 

When Talon and I made eye contact, the smile dropped. But the usual cold expression didn't disappear, instead his stormy grey eyes trailed down my body.  Curiosity and lust were the foremost emotions playing on his face as he stared at my soggy body. I looked down and my cheeks lit up with mortification. 

I only wore a skimpy white tank top and a pair of cotton, black underwear. You could see right through the wet tank top; you could plainly see that I was not wearing a bra. It was also plain as day that I was freezing cold. I wrapped my arms around my chest and glared at Talon who smirked me and slunk away into the hallway. 

"Get out!" As I screamed at the two boys on the floor, I dropped my arms. Big mistake. Caden and Tav stopped laughing as stared up at me chest blatantly. I covered back up as Talon stuck his head back in and scowled at Caden and Tav who were still on the floor. 

"Get up off your asses and stop staring," Talon snapped. All four of us in the room looked at him like he was crazy. Did he just. . . defend me? Caden and Tav scrambled up off of the floor and left Mina and I alone to change clothes. Yesterday, Talon would have just let them stare and glare holes into my head until I cowered away. I mean it's not like he's mister nice guy, he still had a hardness to his eyes, regardless of smiling. 

Mina disappeared into the bathroom connected to her room to change. I sifted through my overnight bag and pulled out a maroon baggy shirt, and a pair of jogging pants that made my butt nice and pert. I stuck on some comfy socks and pulled my wet hair up into a messy bun. Instead of putting my contacts back in, I opted for my glasses. I looked in the mirror and smiled widely; I looked pretty cute. Mina walked out from the bathroom and looked my body up and down with approval. 

"Let's go." Mina looped her arm through mine and pulled me through the house. Downstairs, all three boys were eating and chatting away, as if they didn't just soak us to the bone to wake us up. I walked in behind Mina as she stood behind the three unsuspecting boys. She looked over her shoulder and placed a discolored finger up to her lips. She opened up her mouth and let out the loudest scream my ears were met with. Talon, Tav and Caden all jumped out of their skin and whirled around in their seats. I was pretty sure Caden had peed his pants he looked so frightened. I sucked in my lips to keep from laughing as the three boys glared at Mina. 

"Sis, what was that f--  oh. Yeah sorry about the water." Tav quickly corrected himself as he took his sister's thunderous expression in. She rolled her eyes and walked around them to grab her own plate. On instinct I looked over at Talon who was also watching me. His head was cocked to the side slightly. The harshness still muddled dangerously in his eyes, but the level of him looking ready to kill me was a little lower today. I looked away, confusion swimming through my mind.

"Olivia, come get your food." I quickly shuffled towards Mina, desperate to escape Talon's intense stare. It's as if something snapped in him overnight, and now he wasn't being so mean to me. Still intense and harsh, but he spewing hurtful words to me. It was an odd feeling. I sat down with Mina, thankfully away from Talon, at the dining room table. 

"How did you girls sleep?" Caden asked with a mouthful of bacon. 

"It would have been better if you fuckers hadn't woke us up. It's only nine in the morning for fucks sake," Mina growled unhappily. Tav chuckled and Caden's eyebrows raised high on his forehead as he shook his head. 

"Wow, someone is grumpy this morning." 

"You would too if someone poured a bucket of damn water on you," I snapped semi-playfully. I wasn't happy, but I've been woken up with worse. 

"Two grumpy girls, it's gonna be a tough day," Tav mumbled under his breath. I rolled my eyes, and stood up to refill my glass with orange juice. I wondered back into the dining room, but frowned when it was empty except for Talon. I looked around the room with my brows furrowed. 

"Where did everyone go?" Talon's face was blank, but his lips turned up in a smirk that was so small, it barely counted as a smirk. 

"In the game room." I nodded and quickly started to make an escape, but Talon stroke quickly as he stood up and blocked my way. I gulped down the fear that was threatening to come up in the form of puke. Was this why he was being. . . not as severe? Was it the calm before the storm?

"You know, I don't appreciate being ditched. That little stunt you pulled with Mina? Not acceptable. What if something had happened to you?" I finally have the guts to look up at his face, and I quickly regret it. Fury flashed in his eyes, and from the corner of my eye, I could see him balling his hands into fists and then releasing the tension.

"I wasn't even thinking about that, I just wanted to hang out with Mina." Not a total lie, I just left out I was ditching to spend time with a friend since I was leaving this town in the dust. Talon scoffed and ran a exemplary formed hand through his dark hair. 

"Exactly. You weren't thinking, that's why you need us around you." Talon crossed his arms as he looked down at me with a frown. 

"Talon, I can-," I was cut off as he abruptly backed me up against a wall. My eyes widened in panic as he trapped my head between his hands. He slowly leaned down so we were face to face, and all complaints dropped from my tongue as I took in his face. It was a mixture between, anguish, frustration, pure fury and one more emotion I didn't recognize. 

"Don't. . . don't you dare say the words. I've had fucking enough. You may have a few moves up your sleeve, but you can't fight off everyone. You need to know your limits." I opened my mouth to snap at him, but he smothered my lips with his palm. His lip lifted as he sneered down at me, but not with so much hatred as before. Nonetheless, it was still a scary glare. He let my mouth go, and just stared into my eyes vehemently. 

"Why Olivia? Why can't you just let me protect you?" Such a loaded question. I let out a shaky breath and turned my head to the side so I wouldn't have to look into Talon's potent eyes. My mouth opened and shut multiple times, but my brain failed to function the right way. I finally looked back at Talon, and my brain managed to conjure some words finally. 

"Because Talon, I've done and seen some shit that you couldn't even imagine. I don't want to get any of you involved in that. I don't trust myself or anyone else, for that matter. I could never forgive myself if anything happened because of me." I lightly pushed Talon away and walked out of the dining room, my heart pounding in my chest.  

Vote, comment and share!

A xo