Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

"AHHHHHHH!" My sleep is interrupted by a blood-curling scream. I hurriedly push the comforter away from my body, and rush out of Caden's guest room. I run towards the room Lexi was staying in, and push the door open. She was in the bed surrounded by blue sheets, sweat soaking through the materiel. I careen towards the bed as she starts to claw at her body, little droplets of blood flying everywhere. 

"Lexi! Lexi, wake up! You're dreaming." I shook Lexi urgently, and as she started to thrash against me even harder, Caden burst into the room. 

"Help me hold her down," I order while struggling to keep her still. We kept screaming at her, and finally her eyelids sprang open. Her frenzied grey orbs darted between Caden and I, full of fear. 

"W - Where am I?" her voice shook and her lip quivered. 

"Lexi, we are Caden's and you are going to be able to see Talon tomorrow. Remember? He's going to be so excited." It was honestly like talking to a child, she was so fragile. Caden and I held her in our arms, whispering comforting words. Eventually she calmed down enough that we could lay her down once more. Caden took my hand as we left the room, and I resisted the urge to smack him away. We silently walked to the Caden's room, a couple doors down from Lexi's. 

"Where did you find her?" Caden plopped back down on his bed, but I stood stiffly by the door. 

"Mina and I were getting ice cream, and she was outside, freezing her ass off." Caden nodded thoughtfully while he stared at my non-moving posture. 

"Olivia, can I ask you something?" I froze and looked down at my bare feet. I took a deep breath, but reluctantly nodded. 

"Why do you refuse to let us in? You push all of us away, well expect Mina. You seem to go easier on Mina, but you are so cold. I want to know why. Talon told me you've been to a lot of schools. So that means that you must be running for something. Please, just open up to me. I'm your friend." Caden was now standing in front of me, with begging eyes. I shook my head, and turned around to leave, but he wasn't having that. He placed his palm against the door, his chest inches from my back. 

"No, I want some answers." I whirled around and shoved at Caden's chest to give me space. 

"Caden, I can't! Yes, I'm running. I couldn't possibly tell you anything. The last time I made friends with guys, he killed them. He's dangerous and won't hesitate to hurt you guys!" I yelled in Caden's face, and when it twisted into something akin to anger I realized my mistake. 

"He?" Caden took a step towards me, and I gulped. 

Fuckity, shit, fuckity, crap, mother fucker!  

"Caden. . . I-" 

"Who the fuck is he?" Caden snapped, and I had to hold back the flinch from his tone. 

"Caden, I have been staying away from you guys for a reason, and I couldn't bare it if anything happened to you." Caden looked at a loss for words, and that was a first for him. 

"Now. . ." my next words made me choke up with emotion. "Now that you know something, I have to leave Caden. I can't stay here anymore." Caden's eyes widened and he shook his head, grabbing my arms. He pulled me to his bed and forced me to sit down. He sat down next to me, his face determined, and his bright green eyes flashing. 

"Caden-"

"Shut up Olivia." I comply by mashing my lips together, but I narrow my eyes. 

"You are not leaving us. You are not leaving Mina, Tav, me, Lexi. You aren't leaving Talon. Not when he is finally opening up. Whatever shit you have following you, we can handle it. Whoever he is, he won't hurt any of us. I promise." I stood up, my head shaking vehemently. 

"Caden you don't understand-" I stop up short when I hear the unmistakable sound of a safety switching off on a gun. I whirl around and I see Caden standing, glaring at me with a glock in his palm. 

"Uh, what-" 

"Olivia, we know how to handle ourselves. We are friends! Friends look out for each other and protect one another. No matter what it is, we will protect you. You are one of us." My heart thudded harshly in my chest as I looked up into his serious eyes. Rarely did I ever see Caden so serious. He was always goofy, and called me "Dino Girl". I rub my tired eyes, trying to force his words into my confused brain. 

Friends? Protect? One of them? I shook my head and take a shaky step towards the door. 

"Olivia?" I don't turn around as I gulp down the bile rising in my throat. 

"Caden, I need time. For years, I have been depending on myself and myself only. You will never understand how hard it is for me to trust other people, and let them in. I have been alone, and I am okay with that. But with you guys now in the picture. . . I don't know what to do." My voice was low and scratchy. 

"I do." I felt his body heat at my back, but I kept still. 

"Let me in. Let us in. We care for you, all you have to do is let us in." My stomach twisted from his words. I opened the door and ran to the room I was staying in. I collapse to the soft ground and try to hold in the tears that were desperate to escape. I lost the battle as the tears ran down my face, and the sobs violently tore at my body. 

The vicious reality of what was in front of me shook my core. It makes me unsteady. I am no longer by myself, I can't be my usual selfish being. I had other people to look out for. People who. . . wanted to look out for me. It's such a odd feeling; not being alone. I don't have to face these battles alone. I have people who want to slay my giants for me, and with me. 

And all I have to do is. . . let them in. 

The question is. . . how?

Vote, comment, and share!

A xo