Chapter 12

It was three or four days before they let me leave the hospital. Within that time there hadn't been any visits from my father or brothers. Spencer had only left the room one time and it was because I had demanded some food that didn't come from the hospital cafeteria. The only visitors I got other then Spencer were doctors and nurses. They did a bunch of blood tests to make sure everything with the baby was going okay, they put me on prenatal vitamins and Spencer got to see an ultrasound. He had been a lot more excited about that then I thought he would be.

"Maybe you shouldn't carry that," Spencer's worried voice sounded from behind me.

"Spence, it's just a bag of clothes. I'm not even using my bad arm." That didn't seem to phase him, he took it from my hands anyway.

"You shouldn't be walking either, you're feet aren't healed completely yet. you're just going to make it worse and then it will take longer. Let me go get you a wheelchair." This isn't the first time he's tried to put me into one of those things.

"Spencer, I already told you that I don't need a wheelchair." I tired to make my voice show that that would be the last of the conversation but Spencer was never one for social cues.

"Addi-"

"No, I can walk to the damn car without a damn chair." I felt a little bad for snapping at him but it was the only way I could get him to drop the argument. It did take us a little longer then expected to get to the car because of my feet but I blamed it on being tired even though I knew he could see right through it.

Spencer had tired to talk to me about my family when I mentioned that Rodney had called them. He wanted me to call them and tell them that I was okay, that I had gotten away and Rodney was dead. Somewhere in my mind I knew he was right, I should call them, I should tell them that everything's fine but I knew that that phone call can turn ugly really fast. I didn't want to deal with my family's anger. I hadn't seen them in almost five years, that a long time for someone to be angry with you.

We also spoke a little more about the baby, we came to the conclusion that there wasn't much we could do other then grab the bull by the horns and see what happens. I've always waned kids, its something I've known since I was a little girl. But I didn't think that now would be the time. Maybe after I had started a career and Spencer was well into his. That would have been a better time to bring the kids topic back up but nothing in my life ever seems to go as planed.

It turns out that the hospital was only a few minuets away from our apartment and I was thankful for that. I really just wanted to sit on our brand new couch and cuddle, never thought I would use that word.

'You sure you can make it up the stairs?" Spencer asked once he turned the car off. I thought about it for a second before answering. Just walking to our car had been difficult. My feet weren't nearly as bad as they were when I was running through the woods but now I don't have the adrenalin running through my body. But no one's ever gotten anything done by saying they cant do it. The weirdest part is that my shoulder doesn't even hurt as bad.

"I'll be fine." Spencer looked like he wanted to argue but thought better of it. There's not a lot of things that Spencer would fight me on, but my well being happens to take a very high spot on that list. Have I mentioned the thing that actually got us together had been me getting stabbed? It took us a little while to get upstairs but we made it. Our apartment was cleaner then I had left it. Someone had pushed all the boxes flush against the wall allowing us to see the floor. The couch had also been cleared off and the TV was on its stand.

"You cleaned up." I felt a breath of relief escape my body as I slumped down on the couch, allowing my head to roll on the cushion behind me and closed my eyes. I'm not sure what's more stressful, getting kidnapped and shot, or trying to listen to everything doctors and nurses tell you to do. Spencer says it's only stressful because I don't like listening to people.