Chapter 31

I took a deep breath and leaned against one of the machines and pressed a hand to my forehead. Dean said he would be here. He said to stay put and that he would take care of it. I did my best to just keep breathing. I'm really starting to feel like a freaking wimp. 15 year-old me would have been all over this. I would have found this son of a bitch and put a buckshot right between his eyes, but now...I don't even know. A bitter laugh escaped my lips/

"What is this talk about burning a body?" The phone fell form my hand and my head snapped up. Morgan looked at me with a blank expression and his arms were crossed over his chest. Fuck my life. I quickly tried to cover my shock with a look matching his. This could turn ugly very fast. Think Addison.

"I'm sorry?" Lets try playing stupid.

"You just said that he shouldn't be up walking around because 'they' burned the body." He took a step closer to me and there wasn't anywhere I could go.

"There family has a….thing, a religious thing where they cremate their dead but they do it themselves." Good save.

"Themselves?"

"Like they build a pyre and set the body on fire. 'Burned the body' probably didn't sound all that nice." I gave an awkward laugh. I really wanted to leave, this is not a conversation that I want to be having, especially not when the person I was having it with works for the FBI and they they're currently working a case that could possibly cause some major riffs in my relationship if they dig a little to deep into my past.

"Who were you on the phone with?"

"My brother." When trying to get someone off your back the best way to lie is to stick as close to the truth as possible. It makes it easier to remember the story and you'll feel less crappy about it.

"I thought your brother's name is Sam."

"I have two brothers." Okay, I mentioned the burning of the body pretty early in the conversation between me and Dean. If he heard that then he heard everything. Meaning he heard the part where I mentioned I was holding back information, shit. "I had been trying to reach my father but he wasn't answering so I called Dean thinking that Dad might be with him." I tried to make myself sound as innocent as possible.

"What aren't you telling us?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." I forced myself to look confused but we both know that I fucked up, he's not stupid. He knows what he heard.

"You just told your 'brother' that you didn't like 'withholding information' so don't withhold it. Tell me so we can find the man that shot Reid." He said it like it would be the easiest thing in the world. He mentioned Spencer because he knew that saying it would hit a nerve. I'm no stranger to the art of interrogation, I've been in my fare share of handcuffs.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I crossed my arms and pushed off the machine and went to walk around him.

"I know that you love Reid and I know that you want to catch this bastard but the only way we can do that is if you tell us what you know. Is someone threatening to hurt you? We can protect you." He grabbed my arm, not hard enough to hurt me but enough to let me know that he wasn't just gonna let me leave.

"You know everything that I do." The lie tasted bitter on my tongue but I couldn't stop myself from saying it. "I called my brother because I wanted to ask my father if he had any idea where Rodney might be hiding."

"How'd you know about the silver bullet? That wasn't released to the public."

"I saw it in the medical file."

"Do that mean something to you?"

"Why would a sliver bullet mean something to me?"

"You were just yelling about it a second ago. You want to know what I think?" I felt a lump start to form in my throat.

"What?"

"I think you know exactly whats going on and I think it's scaring the hell out of you. I think that your family was involved in something that you didn't want to be a part of so you ran and now its coming and knocking on your door and you don't know what to do about it." He looked at me directly in the eyes the entire time. "Addison, I want to help you but I can't do that if I don't know what's going on." I didn't know how to respond to that without making myself seem really suspicious. I wanted to tell him that my brothers and I could take care of it and that they should just sit this one out. That if they went go to far down the rabbit hole that there is a good chance they'll get themselves killed. And I know what you're thinking. Rodney probably just faked his death and had his sons help cover it up but I don't believe that. I think, no I know that whatever is going on has nothing to do with humans, or hunters for that matter.

Something tired to kill Spence, not someone. But I couldn't just tell Morgan that without looking like a crazy person. I'm backed in a corner and it's my own damn fault. I should have told Spencer everything the second I realized I wanted to spend my life with him. I should've just bit the bullet and if he didn't believe me then I could have taken him on a hunt or something so he could see it for himself.

"You wont understand."

"Make me understand."

"You wont believe me."

"Try me." The look he gave me was so different then the one I was used to seeing from him. There wasn't any traces of humor or anything other then complete seriousness.

"He's awake." The younger officer was looking at us with confusion. It took a few seconds for what he said to register but when it did I didn't give a damn about anything that was happening other then the fact that he was awake. I pulled away from Morgan and around the officer.