chapter 44

Spencer didn't respond for a few minuets. He was searching my face for something, more then likely trying to see if I was joking, or lying or something. I looked at him with a serious face, no traces of humor or anything other then the complete truth.

"Spence?" I gripped his hand tighter.

"This isn't the time to be telling jokes..."

"I'm not joking!" I pleaded. I couldn't think of what to call his face, it was kind of a mix of confusion and something else.

"Addison..." he said slowly, "monsters don't exist." I took a deep breath and let it our slowly. I lifted up my shirt so the scar that ran down my side was exposed.

"What do you think did this?" I asked him quietly, pulling his hand over to the scared flesh. He looked over my side and held his hand against my side. He sighed.

"Addi…" He pulled the shirt back down. "You told me it was an animal attack."

"Yeah, that's what I told you, but that wasn't the truth. My dad left my brothers and I in a motel for a week during the summer when I was 15. He told us that he would be back within the week…well we didn't know what to do when people started dying without their hearts in the town we were staying in.

"Well Dean and I found it and he told me to wait in the motel room with Sammy," I laughed, "he said that he could take care of it on his own and that Sammy needed me there for him. Me being me didn't want him to get hurt so I followed him after making sure Sam would be okay by himself. I found the werewolf before Dean did and when I went to kill it...I hesitated and it nearly got me killed." I twiddled with his hand, not looking up at him. I didn't want to see his face. I could tell by his body language that he wasn't believing me.

"Addison, the thing that did that to you was a normal animal." He said calmly, moving his hand from my own and pulling up my chin so I was looking into his eyes. They were telling me that everything would be okay if I just listened to him. I smiled sadly, knowing that this was him trying to get me to see reason. He used the same tone when I was leaving the day before.

"You don't have to talk to me like I'm crazy." I told him. There wasn't any bite in my voice, just sadness.

"You're not crazy." He assured, "We will figure something out."

"There's nothing to figure out Spencer. This is how things are, monsters exist and they kill people." I said a bit louder.

"Addi, your father didn't hunt monsters. No one knows what he did, you said it yourself, he left you and your brothers to find for yourself. What he did to yo-"

"He didn't do anything to me!" I yelled, standing up from the bed and ran my fingers through my hair until they got caught at the back of my skull not facing him.

"Okay..." He said calmly, "okay...he didn't."

"Don't talk to me like I'm one of the people you hunt down."

"I'm not-"

"Yes you are! You're talking to me like I'm about to do something stupid and you're trying to talk me down off some ledge!" I turned around to look at him.

"Addison." He reached his hand out to me in a calming gesture. "Can you please come here?" I looked at him and took a deep breath but that didn't help. My anger didn't want to leave, it wanted to stay here and wrap around the both of us.

"I need some air." I told him in the nicest voice I could manage and started for the door.

"Addison!" I ignored him, pulling the door open and stepping outside.

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Morgan waited outside the door of Spencer's hospital room. He had told the guards that they could leave. Now that he knew what they were up against he figured that there wasn't anything they could do other then get themselves killed. He was waiting for Addison to come back out though he had no way of knowing how long that would take.

He wasn't sure what to make of everything that was going on. Reid had been working with him for less then six months and he's known Addison even less time. This is not what he'd expected with Hotch told him that they would be adding an extra agent onto their 'team'.

"…like you're trying to talk me down off some ledge!" He heard Addison's voice clearly from his spot across the hall. It wasn't a few seconds later that the door opened up and Addison moved through with Reid calling out behind her. Morgan pushed off the wall and called after her.

"What?" She asked angrily, stopping in the middle of the hallway, whipping around to face him.

"Where are you going?"

"I don't fucking know." He widened his eyes a bit at her language. She started moving again and he didn't stop her. She wasn't heading towards the exit and it looked like if he tried to stop her then she might get violent, and he didn't want to deal with that. He waited till she went around the corner before he went into the room. Reid was leaning back against the bed, staring up at the ceiling.

"What'd you do to piss her off so bad?" He asked, taking a seat in the chair next to the bed. Reid glanced over at him and ran a hand down his face.

"Where did she go?"

"Not sure, not towards the door though." Reid sighed. "She come clean?" Morgan asked, though he already knew the answer to that. Reid took a minuet to respond.

"She...she thinks her father hunts down monsters..." The younger agent looked over at him with an expression that screamed he didn't know what to do.

"Thinks?" He ignored him.

"After what Hotch said about the abuse claims it makes sense, she couldn't handle the reality so she made her own." He sounded like he was trying to convince himself more then Morgan.

"Reid, she wasn't lying." Morgan said a bit louder so he knew Reid heard him without a doubt.

"What?"

"About the monsters, she wasn't lying."

"Of course she wasn't lying, she doesn't know-"

"No, she's telling the truth about the monsters." Reid looked at him with a shocked expression. "Listen man, if you had asked me before I left this morning if monsters, like real monsters, were real I would have told you hell no. But..." he shook his head, "after what I saw today nothing could convince me that they don't exist." Both men looked at one another, Morgan with a deadly serious face, Reid's held disbelief.

"You believe her?"

"After what I saw yes. Do you think I can't handle reality? You think her and I are seeing the same delusions? How the hell do you explain her ability to hide something like that from you for the last five years. If someone was seeing monsters they wouldn't just be able to ignore it."

"There is no scientific-"

"I know this is hard for you to wrap your mind around, I'm sure as hell having a hard enough time and I've seen the thing for myself, but it's true, you're girl isn't delusional. She's scared, and worried that all of this is going to take you away from her."

"There isn't-"

"Spencer, I'm sure the second you get out of here if you ask her for proof she will find you some." Reid looked at him still disbelieving. "Ask her questions, let her answer them."

"What thing?"

"Whatever Rodney was before he died he sure as hell isn't that now. It...it shoved us up against trees without even looking in our direction. It, it had black eyes and just being around it made me want to run the other direction and never slow down." Morgan stood up and clapped his hands together. "You want me to find her or give her some more time to cool off?" Reid thought about it.

"Wait a little while longer. I need to think some things through." Morgan nodded.

"Okay man, remember what I said. Not everything can be explained and sometimes we just need to accept that."