Chapter 29

I don't know how long I sat in those uncomfortable hospital chair before a doctor came out to talk to us. Sam had tired to talk to me a few time, doing his best to calm me down, not that any of that worked. He went and got food that I didn't want to eat, he talked about his classes and how much he was learning, and just did everything in his power to get my mind off the fact that my boyfriend was currently under the knife because an asshole decided that he could get away with shooting him.

"Spencer Reid?" A large man in a white lab coat thing stopped in the middle of the room. I stood up so fast I saw black spots in my vision and my head swam a bit. I grabbed onto Sam's arm, who also stood up, to ground myself before quickly moving to him. He had about five inches on me, so about Spencer's height, and it looked like he spends the majority of his free time in the gym. He had dark brown hair that was shaved down to his scalp. Over all he looked like a pretty nice person and I really hope I don't have to yell at him.

"Is he okay?" Even I could hear the slight threat in my voice. I didn't mean for it to be there, I swear. If he caught on to it he didn't show it. I guess when delivering news to loved ones things can get kind of messy.

"He must have an angel watching his back or something." And just like when Spencer told me that Rodney didn't cause me to miscarriage I felt a large weight lift off my chest. I pushed my fingers though my hair and sighed. "We lost him for a few minuets, I was this close from calling the time of death." He held up his thumb and pointer finger so they were almost touching, "but next thing you know his heart starts right back up and all the internal bleeding stops. I've never seen anything like it." He shook his head. I gave Sam a look. His face looked just as confused as I felt.

"Can I see him?" He looked between my brother and I before answering.

"He's on some pretty heavy meds and he needs to rest. You can go in there but keep that in mind." He directed us to his room and then went off to do what doctors do. I shut the door behind him and looked to the bed. Spencer looked a lot paler then normal against the bedspread. He had a ton of wires on him, one of which showed that he had a steady heartbeat. He had three iv's. One was hooked up to a blood bag, another to what looked like fluids and the last one had liquid morpheme.

"I have a really bad feeling about this." I found myself saying as I watched Spencer breath in and out. "First he suddenly gets a case here. Second he gets shot, and not because he was chasing someone down but because they were waiting for them. Why Spencer? They could have shot Morgan or Aaron, both of them look like they would be larger threats." I shook my head and continued. "Then, he suddenly comes back to life after being dead for several minuets. None of that makes any sense." I turned to look at Sam who was sitting on the window seat that was across the room. The shades where wide open and I found myself thinking about someone shooting though them. "Close the blinds." I crossed my arms and sat down in the chair next to Spencer's bed. I turned it so my back was facing the wall but so I could see Spencer, Sam and the door without much effort.

"The first two things could have just been a coincidence." He started and I wrinkled my nose. He gave me his signature 'bitch face' that's what Dean and I have been calling it since he was five. That thought made me smile softly. That was before Dad told me that monsters still exist, back when I thought I was safe. "But I agree, something else is going on here." He stood up and walked over to the foot of the bed. I frowned at him but stopped after he picked up the clipboard that sat in a little basket at the edge. Once he had it he went back over to his spot on the window and started reading.

I sighed and looked back to Spencer. Looks like he finally getting some uninterrupted sleep. I chuckled at my own crappy joke and pulled my knees up to my chest. I watched him and expected him to open his eyes and ask me why I was looking at him like a weirdo. Not that he would ever word it like that.

"They did a toxicology screening." He said.

"What the hell is that?" I asked tiredly.

"It's where they test for abnormal substances in the blood. I don't know why they would do one on him but they did." He stood up and walked around the bed and knelled down next to me. He held the paper to where I could see it.

"What the hell does that have to do with anything?"

"They found high levels of silver in his blood." I gave him a look that said he needed to explain it in further detail. "Think about it, why would he have higher then normal amounts of silver in his blood after being shot?"

"If you don't just tell me what your point is I might shoot you."

"What if he was shot with a silver bullet? The only way that I can think of him having a higher level of silver in his blood is if it was literately 'shot' inside of him." I took the file from him and he stood back up.

"Why would someone shoot him with a silver bullet? That doesn't make any sense either." I chewed onto my lip.

"What if someone or something is sending a message?"

"Monsters don't use guns. They're monsters." I shook my head and looked back to Spencer. "Something bigger is going on here. Rodney is the only person that's come after me and he only did that because Dad pissed him off. I haven't done anything to make anyone else mad at me enough to shoot Spencer!" I said it much louder then I should have and I looked to Spence to make sure he didn't move.

"I'm not saying that I know what's going on." He was cut off by the sound of a soft, but firm, knock on the door. I pushed closed the file and Sam moved toward the door. I shifted in my seat and crossed my legs, I pulled the file to my chest as I crossed my arms and nodded to Sam. He opened the door and stepped back to let whoever it was inside. Aaron walked into the room and nodded to Sam.

"Oh." I stood up also. "I didn't introduce you two. Aaron, this is Sam, my younger brother. Sam this is Aa- I mean Agent Hotchner." The two of them shook hands and Aaron turned to me. "The doctor said that he was going to be okay."

"I spoke to him." He said.

"Did you get any leads on who shot him?" I asked, moving myself closer to the bed even though I couldn't really 'get' closer so I ended up just leaning myself against the mattress.

"The park's security footage of Rodney walking into the park the morning before we found the body." He watched me as he said it. Sam walked back over to his seat at the window. He looked just as shocked as I felt.

"Spencer told me he was killed in the woods."

"That's what we thought as well but the man on the tapes was defiantly him. I came to ask you if might have any clue as to where he might be hiding out." He was looking at me with blank eyes, like he was reading everything I did and storing it away for later. I didn't like that look but pushed that thought to the back of my mind. He's just doing his job.

"No, the last time I saw him before everything that happened in the woods I was 13." I shook my head as I said it. I couldn't tell if he believed me or not but he turned to Sam and asked the same question. He to responded like I had, not having any idea where he might be.

"What about your father. I understand that they were friends at one point. Would he know?" Sam and I shared a look.

"We can give him a call, but I doubt it. Rodney isn't a stupid man. He would be doing everything he could not to get caught. He wouldn't fall into old habits." Sam said. Of course that meant that Rodney was a good hunter and would be using every trick in the book not to be found, especially with Sam and I being here. I might not have any recent experience when it comes to hunting down monsters but finding people I can do. You can't know where to hide if you don't know where they're going to look in the first place.