Chapter 25

I've never found it so hard to sleep in my life. It's 2:00 in the morning and I think I've woken up Jake at least three times in the past hour do to my nightmares. I feel awful for waking him up especially because he has school tomorrow. Obviously I will he staying home for a while, or at least until I can actually walk.

Finally I closed my eyes and drifted back to sleep.

-

The cool metal of the gun was pressed against my temple as Jake burst into the room. The coolness left my temple and instead the gun was aimed at Jake.

Jake put his hands up and tried to get Bryan to put the gun down. I have no idea what he was saying, I was too busy running scenarios through my head.

What if he shot Jake?

If Jake died what would I do?

Would I ever escape?

If I did where would I go?

Bryan should just shoot me instead.

Bang. Bang. Bang.

The gunshot echoed the room and Jake dropped to the ground.

-

"Jake" I screamed, sitting up in my bed. I was drenched in sweat and tears and my body was shaking violently.

Jake ran through the doorway to my room in only his boxers and he had a worried expression on his face. Can I just say, damn, he looks good.

"Princess" He said sounding out of breath. "bad dream?"

I nodded wiping the tears away, which was useless because they just kept coming.

I heard Jake sigh from across the room and his feet patted on the carpet as he made his way to me.

Gently, he wrapped his arms around me and cooed soothing things in my ear.

"I'm sorry Jake, I'm so so sorry" I sobbed into his chest.

"Sorry for what princess" he asked softly.

"I'm so messed up, and I've woken you up four freaking times in the last hour on a school night"

My legs are wrapped around his waist, my arms are wrapped around his back, and my head is on his shoulder. My body continued to shake as I sobbed loudly.

"I'm such a pain in the ass and all I ever do is cause trouble, Jake I'm sorry"

"Hey" He started. "Don't talk like that, you are not messed up, you've just been through a lot. And these nightmares, Arianna they are not your fault. I want to be here for you"

"But why? Why did you follow me the that day when the video was played in the cafeteria? Why did you help me? I'm just a messed up freak with an abusive father, you could have just left me like everyone else. Why did you help me" I said sobbing at the end.

"Arianna look at me" He said holding me away from him at arms length.

He placed his hands on my shoulders and looked at me with his big Brown eyes. "When I first saw you the day you ran into me I knew you were different. You didn't throw yourself at me like every other girl in the school. You actually avoided me. I found that interesting. I wanted to know more about the mysterious, independent, Beautiful girl that didn't fight for attention. And you are not a messed up freak, don't ever talk like that again" his eyes held so much seriousness and that other emotion his eyes held earlier that I can't seem to figure out. "Okay"

I nodded "okay" I whispered.

Sighing he gently took me in his arms and laid down on my bed with my head on his chest, like he always does to get me to fall asleep. Then when I'm sleeping he goes back to his room.

"Jake" I mumbled into his chest.

"Hm" He hummed.

"Can you stay"

"I'm not going anywhere princess"

I snuggled deeper into his chest laying my arm across his torso.

"Thank you" I whispered closing my eyes and getting comfortable.

I felt him kiss my forehead before sleep completely took over me.

~♡~