Chapter 36

Picture of Dylan

This morning Jake left before I even got up so he didn't have to run into me. And I'm not going to lie. It hurt. But if I was him, I wouldn't want to see me either. I understand I made his life hell, so I'm going to fix this mess. Starting with the nightmares. They have to go, for everyone's sake.

So now I am currently at a pharmacy looking for anything that can help with my sleeping situation. I've decided I need to start staying awake when everyone else is sleeping.

I know not sleeping is extremely unhealthy, so that's why I've decided I am only going to sleep when nobody is home. So that way I don't wake anyone up when I have nightmares. I just hope I can fix things between Jake and I.

-

At least an hour later I am walking through the front door with the bag from the pharmacy hiding exactly what I was looking for.

I saw Jake sitting on the couch scrolling through his phone.

"Hey Jake" I smiled.

He looked up from his phone, his eyes hardening when he sees me, and he storms off to his room slamming the door behind him.

Yep, still mad.

Five minutes later he comes bounding down the stairs with his gym bag and rushing out the door completely ignoring my presence.

So Jake's at the gym, Cole's at football practice, and John is at work. Now is my time to sleep before I take these pills for the first time. I would say I have about two hours, so I crawl into my bed, set my alarm for 7:00 p.m. and let myself doze off into a sleep full of nightmares.

-

Walking through the school doors today was a bit more nerve-wracking than usual, mainly because as soon as I stepped inside, the hall went silent and all eyes were on me. I guess this is what punching Ella in the nose does to you. But unlike her, I hate the attention. Something about having hundreds of eyes on me just isn't exactly pleasing. Especially when you know that behind those eyes, they are all judging your every move.

I quickly walk down the silent hallway, trying my best to hide in the crowd. Once I got to my locker I unlocked it with wildly shaking hands, just to have it slammed shut. I followed the arm that was connected to the hand still holding my locker shut, and met eyes with someone I'm unfamiliar with.

"Um- d-do I know y-you" I stuttered.

He smirked "Probably not but I know you"

Creepy.

"You're the girl that broke my sisters nose"

Shit. I'm so dead.

I stayed completely silent watching in horror as he grabbed my wrists and pinned them over my head against the lockers.

"Now, I'm sure you've heard the cliché saying 'if you mess with my siblings you're gonna deal with me' right? Well you messed with Ella, so now you're gonna deal with me" He tightened his grip around my wrists and got closer to my face so his breath was fanning skin. "And let me warn you, I'm not afraid to hit girls"

"If you want to leave this building with all your limbs, I suggest you let her go"

I froze and slowly turned my head to face the owner of the husky voice that just spoke. He stood there fists clenched at his sides, sporting a murderous glare. He wore a t-shirt that clung to his toned body, showing off his muscles and a few tattoos.

"Dylan, long time no see" Ella's brother chuckled nervously.

Dylan just stared at him with a bored expression.

"I was just leaving" He went scrambling down the hall and out the school doors.

When I turned back to face Dylan he was already staring holes into me with his icy orbs.

"Thanks" I muttered.

He gave me a small nod and continued to stare at me.

"Ummm-"

"What happened the other night" He took me by surprise when he spoke.

"Nothing, nothing. Everything's fine"

He narrowed his eyes and stared right through me. "You're lying"

"What? No"

"I can see right through that pretty little smile" with one last long stare he turned on his heel and disappeared down the hallway leaving me speechless and frozen to the spot staring down the hall with my mouth hung open.

I remembered I was late and bolted to my next class. Which is homeroom. With Jake.

As soon as I ran through the door, everyone turned in their seats to watch me. I stumbled through the room to my desk, panting heavily and ignoring my classmates stares. The only one I couldn't ignore was Jake, he stared right through me with his cold gaze. Watching intently as I tripped over my feet which ended in coughing fits.

Wow, I really am out of shape. I slumped down in my seat, resting my forehead on the top of my desk.

"Ms. Mitchell would you like to explain to the class why you are late"

I kept my head on my desk taking deep breaths before finally answering. "Slept in"

Total lie, I didn't sleep at all.

"Right-" I zoned out for the rest of class, keeping my head down. The whole time I could feel Jake's eyes on me.

"Arianna" someone snapped.

I sat up quickly looking straight ahead.

"What? what happened?"

"You fell asleep in my class"

I mumbled 'sorry' and rested my head back on my desk.

Today is going to be a long day.

~♡~