Flirting Detective

Requested by the_Writing_Bear 

~***~

Sherlock tapped his pocket to check if the cards were still in there. Luckily, they were. He had been practising and studying those cards for days. He had to do this right or he'd blow his chances. He took deep breaths to steady his nerves as he entered your office. You looked up from your paperwork and smiled warmly at the detective. ''Hi, Sherlock.'' You greeted. ''I'll have to disappoint you if you're looking for a new case. The criminals are all taking a break, I think.'' Sherlock swallowed thickly and shook his head, messing up his hair that he spent hours on earlier that morning. ''No, no, I'm not here for a case.'' He countered, speaking faster than normal. You narrowed your eyes and stared at Sherlock. ''Are you feeling okay? You look a little pale.'' You stated. ''Me? I'm fine, perfectly fine.'' He stammered. ''You sure?'' Sherlock nodded rapidly, not convincing you. You decided not to bother the detective and let it go. ''Why exactly are you here, Sherlock?'' You questioned. 

It sounded harsher than you meant. You weren't unhappy that he came into your office randomly, it just didn't seem like him. You didn't mind though. You got to see more of the consulting detective without having to initiate a conversation first. You always hated taking the first step to start a conversation, it made you feel uncomfortable, but luckily Sherlock didn't seem to mind.

''I, uh, wanted to ask you something.'' He stated hesitantly. ''Oh, go ahead then.'' You smiled at him, earning a nervous smile back. ''Is your father a baker? Because I live at Baker Street.'' He said. You tilted your head a little in confusion and smiled unsurely. ''What?'' You wondered. Sherlock cleared his throat and attempted to hide the blush that was coating his pale cheeks. ''Um, sorry I seemed to have mixed that one up. Let me try again.'' He mumbled. An amused smile spread on your face as you realised what he was trying to do. 

''I'm sorry, I don't think we've met. My mind palace makes it almost impossible to forget a pretty face like yours. Unless I delete it of course then it's gone, but I would never delete you! No, no, I'd never forgive myself, but I would also not remember—'' You interrupted his rambling, ''Sherlock?'' He looked at you and smiled sheepishly. ''I'll just go to the next one.'' He said quietly. You nodded and allowed him to continue. ''Do you have a Band-Aid? Because I- uh, I- uh... damn it.'' The detective sighed in defeat and reached for the memory cards in his pocket. You leant back in your office chair and laughed quietly to yourself. You felt a little sorry for him, but you were also enjoying yourself very much. You thought it was cute how he was trying to flirt. Never in a million years would you have thought that the one and only consulting detective would have feelings for you. But here he was, in your office, trying to impress you with clever pickup lines.

Sherlock checked his memory cards and kept muttering things to himself. However, he stopped when he heard your soft giggles. He looked at you and again and his lips curled downwards, looking like a sad and lost puppy. You couldn't contain yourself anymore and burst out laughing. Sherlock slowly put his memory cards back in his pocket and sat down in the armchair next to your desk, staring at the floor. 

How could he be so stupid? Why would a beautiful woman like you ever date a 'freak' like him? He had embarrassed himself in front of the person who meant the most to him and now he was never going to hear the end of it. 

You wiped the tears from your eyes as you finally pulled yourself together. You saw the detective sulking in your armchair and you felt bad. ''Oh, Sherlock.'' You cooed, standing up and walking over to him. ''I'm not making fun of you!'' You promised. ''Then why were you laughing?'' He asked sadly, not looking at you. ''Well, I was laughing because it was... very sweet of you. I feel flattered, Sherlock. It just surprised me because I had no clue you liked me and I never expected to see you flirting with someone.'' You explained. ''I was trying to be different and impress you.'' He admitted. ''Sherlock, I don't want you to be different. You are incredibly smart and always amaze me with your clever deductions. You are unique and you shouldn't change yourself for somebody else.'' He looked at you again and saw the sincerity in your eyes. He smiled widely and nodded, agreeing. ''You're right, (Y/N), I really am incredibly smart and unique.'' He agreed, smirking. You playfully rolled your eyes. ''Your ego is impressive, Sherlock Holmes.'' You laughed. ''Could we, um, not mention what happened in here? I'd like to keep my ego intact.'' He added. You laughed and nodded. ''Why don't you head outside and then come back in and we'll do this all over again?'' You proposed. ''Alright.''

You sat down in your office chair again and pretended to be working while Sherlock exited your office. After a few seconds, Sherlock knocked on your office door. ''Come in!'' You called. Sherlock confidently opened the door and strutted in. ''Good morning, (Y/N).'' He greeted. ''Hi, Sherlock. Are you here for a case?'' You asked, biting back a smile. ''No, I'm here to ask you a question.'' He stated. ''Would you like to have dinner with me soon?'' You pretended to think about it for a moment before answering. ''No.'' Sherlock's confident attitude disappeared and it looked like someone slapped him in the face. ''But you just said—'' You cut him off again. ''I was just kidding, Sherlock. I'd love to have dinner with you. Tonight?'' You suggested. The confidence returned and a proud smirk spread on his face. ''Tonight.'' He confirmed.