Chapter 18 - Hatred

Asher's POV :

I flinch as Anaya's screams begin to disperse through the entire hallway.Her painful wail was strong enough to shake the ground underneath me.I can feel each and every strand of hair on my hand stand.My heart felt like sinking and I find it difficult to even breath properly.

"Sir, you'r wife just got conscious .." The hospital nurse informs me.

"I can hear that." I reply with my head down.

"Sir, we need you to help us in calming her down or else she might hurt her new stitches .. she is in a very bad state." The nurse pressures.

"I .. I'm of no help." I try to maintain my posture.

"Sir, we really need to .."

I quickly cut her in " I'll send one of her friends for your help.Till then please try to get everything in control.If your doctor's can't do it, I'll contact some other hospital."

"No worries sir, we'll take care of her." The nurse stutters.

I dial Ujala's number with trembling hands.She is the only one who can help me with this situation.

"Asher?" Ujala speaks as she receives the call.

"She's awake." I inform.

"Thank Allah !! How's she?" -Ujala

"I assume very critical, from her screams."

"You didn't see her?" - Ujala

"No. I want you to get here right now! She needs you."

"She needs you, Asher." -Ujala

"I'll be waiting." with that I hung up.

Taking a few backward steps, I collide on the hospital chair and get seated in a very unusual posture. Nostalgia hits me as I drop my head in remorse.

This is not the first time that I've been in this state.I can recall past events too when people counted on me in their problems and I disappointed them .. There were several painful screams of the past already that haunt me every night, Naaya just added another.

How I wish I wouldn't have hanged up on her.I wish I would've listened to her when she needed me the most.

Will I ever be able to face her?

Will I ever be able to look at her without guilt in my eyes?

Will she ever forgive me?

I don't know.

~~~~~~

"She's better now, just sleeping.You can come in." Ujala reassure as I stand outside Naaya's room trying to catch a glimpse of the girl I've hurt the most.

"I .. I don't think I should be here." I try my best to not stutter as I enter Naaya's ward.

"It wasn't your fault Asher." Ujala speaks.

"Yeah .. like always." I grunt.

"It is not your fault Asher.It never was alright?" Ujala tries to assure me again.

"You always say that Ujala . You have a big heart."

"Why do you say that?" Ujala smiles.

"Because you said that three years ago too." Ujala's smile disappears as the words left my mouth.She instantly looked away and knowing her I was definite she was trying to hold her tears.

"I think I need some coffee.Tell me if you want something, I'm heading to the cafeteria." Ujala quavers and reach for the door.

"Ujala !!" I stop her. "I'm sorry .. I've always wanted to say this to you but .." before I could finish Ujala objects.