14: Aldertree

|| Ophelia — ||

"We are at war. Valentine now has the Mortal Cup with which he is, no doubt, raising a new army..." Maryse said, "and one of our own has joined him."

"Looks like the queen's taking back her kingdom." Isabelle muttered.

I took Alec's hand, but he pulled his hand away. I sighed, but he eventually grabbed my hand and held it. I looked up, at him and I saw the sad look on his face.

"As a result, the Clave has declared a state of emergency at the Institute. Their first priority is to replace the current leadership, who they have deemed wholly ineffectual." She announced "It is an honor to introduce the newly appointed head of the New York Institute, Clave representative, Victor Aldertree."

Maryse stepped down and the guy name Victor stepped forward a smile on his face.

"Did you know about this?" Alec asked Isabelle.

"No." Isabelle answered. "But maybe this is why dad went back to Idris."

"Maryse went behind my back." Lydia said.

"My fellow Shadowhunters, it's an honor to be here with you all. We have to find Jace Wayland. He's a Shadowhunter and we don't leave our people behind. The answer to his location may very well lie in this room. So, I wanna speak with everyone who went on a mission where Jace disappeared." He said, "One last thing. Effective immediately, the Institute is on lockdown. But it's only temporary. Let's turn this Institute around."

=====

Ever since, I found out that Valentine is not my father and my parents are probably dead. I spent a lot of time with either Alec, Isabelle, or I go to Magnus' place, but since the Institute is now on lockdown. I decided to go to Alec instead.

I knocked on his door, "Alec? Can I come in?"

"Uh, yeah." He answered.

I opened the door and I walked over to Alec who was sitting on his bed.

"Remember that date you owe me?" I asked, "Maybe, we could do it now. Just to get a few negative feelings out." 

He stood up, and straightened his shirt. He looked at me and walked towards me, he placed his hand on my wrist, his thumb gliding up and down on my skin.

"Where do you suggest we have our date? We're on lockdown." He raised his eyebrow at me.

"Well, I was thinking that we could go to the greenhouse and bring some food and talk about.. I don't know, us?" I smiled.

"That sounds nice." He smiled back, I placed my hand on his cheek and his stubble in contact with my hand sending a rough prickly feeling. I tip-toed to get closer to his face and he leaned down and our lips connected.

The door opens and it revealed Isabelle, "Alec, have you seen O— oh.."

We pulled apart, and we both looked at Isabelle who had a big smile on her face, "Sorry to interrupt but, Aldertree asked for you."

"Okay." I nodded and Isabelle left. "We will have that date later." I smiled and poked his nose.

=====