25: Soul Sword

Isabelle, Alec and I stood in front of the center table at the Ops center as we go through multiple files. Duncan apparently disappeared with Magnus according to the younger Lightwood.

Clary and Jace entered the room together and they stood by the table across from us, "Any word from Magnus or Luke?" Clary asked.

"No. With Valentine free, the Downworld cabinet has been holding secluded meetings in the Seelie Court." Alec replied.

"That's not good." Jace said.

"You think anything good happens in the Seelie Court?" Clary asked.

"The Clave isn't gonna let this go unpunished. The inquisitor sent an envoy to assess the situation. Chances are, they'll be ones replacing me as the head of the Institute." Alec said.

"Not if we can recapture Valentine." I retorted and glanced at the ever so pessimistic raven haired boy.

"Sebastian and all available personnel are searching. We know Duncan managed to hijack the portal." Isabelle said as she rests both her hands on the table.

"If he was Luke's accomplice, he could have been orchestrating the secret transfer all along." Jace turned his gaze to all of us.

"But, I doubt that Duncan could pull this off. It has to be someone else." I disagreed and reasoned out.

"Listen, I appreciate the effort, but Valentine escaped on my watch. I deserve to take the heat for it." Alec said to which I shook my head to.

"This isn't your fault, it's mine. I was the one in charge of the transfer team." Isabelle retorted, now putting the blame on herself.

"Hey, we both were. Look, Alec, you are a good leader. You can't just let Imogen fire you over something you didn't do." Jace said taking some of the heat from the siblings.

"Alec will do as he's ordered." A familiar voice said. We turned our gaze to the figure and Robert stood there. No wonder Maryse left early. A displeased expression ran along my face as soon as I saw him.

"Dad?" Isabelle questioned, her eyebrows furrowed in curiosity.

"What are you doing here?" Alec asked.

"Let me guess... You're the Clave's envoy?" I crossed my arms and eyed the man up and down.

He nodded, "We need to talk." referring to Alec.

Alec let out a sigh before he and Robert made their way to Alec's office. Jace and Clary went off as well which left me with Isabelle.

"Come on, I could use an extra hand for Max's training." Isabelle said. A small smile formed in the corner of her lips and she pulled me to the Training Room.

We waited at the training room for some time until we figured that Max doesn't have any plans of attending training.

Isabelle knocked on his door and she opened it slightly and we peeked inside his room, "Max?" Isabelle trailed.

His head perked up slightly and he looked at us. He sighed and looked down at his hands that were clutching each other, his stele lied beside him.

"Max? What's wrong? You didn't join us for training." I questioned, worry laced the tone of my voice.

Isabelle and I entered his room, I shut the door behind us and sat down on his bed both of us on either side of him.