26: Mortal Mirror

"Are you going to tell Magnus?" Alec questioned snapping me out of my deep thoughts.

"Do I have a choice? I can't. It's not my secret to tell." I respond tilting my head to the side and rubbing my arm gently "If I don't tell him, he might get frustrated with me. Maybe, even furious."

"It won't come to that, I promise." He said. I turned myself to look at him as he sat by his desk.

A knock was then heard coming from the door and Max peeked from the door, "Alec?"

"Come in." Alec said with a smile on his face and he immediately got up from his seat and towards the youngest Lightwood.

Max walked in with a cute smile on his face, "You were calling for me?"

"Yeah. The Clave is very impressed with your progress. They think you're ready for your first mission. What do you think?" Alec asked, his smiley face then changed into a much serious facade.

"I've been ready since the day I got here." Max said with a lot of determination.

I chuckled at this and walked towards the two. I extended my hand to Max's head and ruffled his hair playfully, "That's the spirit! You should've seen how excited your siblings were when we got our first mission."

"You better get your butt over to training. You know how much our sister hates tardiness." Alec ordered, a small curve formed in his lips for a brief moment.

"Go be a bad ass shadowhunter." I winked at Max to which he smirked to and nodded.

Just as Max walked out of the room, Jace and Clary almost immediately followed after him and entered the office.

"Any sign of Jonathan?" Alec questioned.

Jace sighed and shook his head, "No, we tracked the box itself, but it was a dead end."

From the side of Clary's head I could see someone peeking through the door, "Max." I called and looked at him sternly. He huffed out and rolled his eyes at me before walking off.

"So Valentine sent Duncan to steal a pair of baby booties?" Alec asked sarcastically. Alec looked down at me to which I shrugged to and turned my attention to Jace and Clary.

"Someone did. Someone who wanted to circumvent us from tracking Jonathan." Jace replied.

"And now we have no leads on either of them. We've got nothing." Clary said and shrugged.

"Nothing is kind of an-- err... understatement?" I looked up at Alec with a questioning look, he nodded at me and he turned his eyes back to the two.

"Actually, we have less than nothing. There's something you should know." Alec sighed. A short silence filled the room, Jace crossed his arms and Clary's gaze moved between us. "The Clave doesn't have the Soul-Sword. They never did." Alec blurt out.

"So, the Clave has been lying this entire time?" Clary questioned as if it's the first time they've done that.

"Wouldn't be the first time." Jace pointed out, not surprised, but then again, who would be.

"The Clave is trying to prevent an uprising. If the Downworld find out that we don't have the Soul-Sword, there'll be total chaos." Alec said.