Awake

Steve never left Tony's bedside except once for the bathroom. He watched over him all day and night after his surgery. He hadn't eaten since Sam had brought him food a few days ago at his house. He hadn't got much sleep either. He simply watched Tony sleep. Steve looked at the clock and saw that it was now mid evening; a day after they arrived. Tony had been asleep for around thirteen hours and Steve was just waiting for him to wake up. He sat near Tony's bedside when the door opened. Startled by the sudden noise, Steve glanced up quickly. It was only Natasha. "Hey Steve. How's he doing?" She asked as the door closed. "He's fine. He should be awakening soon." Steve replied in a calm voice. 

"Steve, we need to talk about some things." Natasha said pulling up a chair near the bed. Steve gave her a confused glance. "Sure? What is it." Steve took his hands off of Tony's. "Well, when Tony wakes up, he's going to think that you and him were on a vacation." Natasha said to Steve. Steve even looked more confused. "What?"

"When the doctors were repairing him, you saw that machine working on his brain right?" 

"Yeah."

"Well, that machine generated a memory causing Tony to think that he was on a vacation with you instead of being revived. It's extremely confusing but Tony cannot know that he died and about the serum and all of this. We tried this on Coulson and it worked- until he found out by other Shield agents. But Tony won't." Natasha said explaining things to Steve.

"So.. I have to lie to him and pretend that we were on vacation this whole time?" Steve asked in a disappointed voice. "It's for his own good Steve." Natasha replied. "Well he's going to wake up in this hospital base? What then?" Steve asked. "That's another thing. When he wakes up, he's going to think that you and him just woke up together after the vacation. So what we are going to do, is when he wakes up, I have to give him a dose of 'sleepy' medicine to put him out a little bit longer- to give us time to get back to New York."

"I don't like lying to people." Steve said looking at Natasha. "Steve. He can't know about this! You have to." She replied. Steve let out a low sigh and nodded his head. "Fine.."

 Awhile later, Natasha explained the small mission she was on while Steve was watching over Tony. She had to take down a few people from Cybertek. Steve was listening to Natasha finish her story when Tony made a small moan in his sleep. "He's waking up!" Steve said in an excited voice. Tony opened his eyes and blinked a few times. Steve looked over at Natasha. She pulled out a small bottle of purple liquid. "Steve? Where are we?" Tony mumbled glancing around. "Um.." Steve said trying to think of something.

"Hey Tony. Nice vacation? Drink this." Natasha said quickly giving Tony the liquid. "What?" Tony said confused. He was still in the waking up process.

"Uh Jesus." Natasha said. She took the bottle and put in in Tony's mouth forcing him to swallow. Tony suddenly, after swallowing the drink, slowly drifted off in to sleep again. "The drink will cause him to forget all of this." Natasha said turning to Steve. "Now we have to get back to New York before he wakes up. We have about seven hours before he wakes up. Let's get going." 

"What, I have to carry him out to the plane?" Steve said sighing as they stood up. "Well he's your boyfriend. And plus, I'm not that strong." Natasha replied laughing. "Ugh." Steve said and lifted up Tony.

Tony lay in between Steve's outstretched arms. Tony made a small sigh in his sleep and leaned in towards Steve's chest. Steve hid a smile as they left the base. "It was good to see you again agent Romanoff. And an honor to meet you Captain Rogers." Agent James said as Natasha and Steve were leaving. "You too agent James." Natasha turned and smiled. Steve just turned his head and waved at the man with a smile. 

They left the base and made their way to the plane. As they entered the jet, Natasha went stright to the cockpit and started it up. Steve walked over to a part in the jet where there was a small couch and table. He set Tony gently down onto the couch and let him sleep. He then stood back up and walked over into the cockpit. "Is there any food on this jet?" Steve asked Natasha as the jet arose. "I knew you would be asking that so yes, I brought some. It is in the cupboards over there. Natasha said pointing behind her. "Thanks." Steve replied and walked out.

He walked up to the cupboards and opened them. He grabbed out a bag of chips and also grabbed an apple. He walked back over to the couch. 

The rest of the flight, Steve rested near Tony's side until they arrived in New York.

-------

Steve was watching the TV that was on the jet, when he felt the jet lower. They were home. He turned off the TV and stood up. He walked into the cockpit and Natasha was landing the plane into S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters. It was around 8:00 AM. "We're here." Natasha said glancing up at Steve as the jet landed. "I see that." Steve said with a slight laugh. 

After they exited the plane Fury called Pepper to give them a ride to Tony's house. Steve had to carry Tony out to the car which was quite embarrasing considering that all the Shield agents he passed would just stare in awkwardness. Everyone at the Shield Headquarters knew that Tony was sent to the base but it was still strange. 

Pepper drove them home and when Steve walked inside, Tony started to wake up. "Damn." Steve said and started pacing towards Tony's bedroom. He entered the room and tucked Tony into the covers. He quickly took off both of their shirts and he slipped in right before Tony opened his eyes. Steve pretended he was asleep while Tony quietly leaned in closer to Steve. Tony silently kissed down Steve's jawline and Steve pretended to be awakened by it. "Hi." Tony said smiling at him. Steve looked into his eyes. "Hi." He replied holding back the tears of happiness.

"I had a wonderful vacation with you." Tony said putting his hand on Steve's chest.

"Me too." Steve replied trying to hide the pain of lying to him.

----------

Steve was so glad that Tony was back but there was one giant problem he hadn't thought of. 
The whole world thinks Tony Stark is dead.
What will they do when they find out that he's alive? 
Steve had to talk to Director Fury right away.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Yay! Tony is awake!! 

What will happen when the whole world finds out that Tony is alive.... :0

I hope you like the story so far!! I almost have 2000 reads! Thanks so much everyone :)

If you want to kik me- my username is
LoveMarvel15

or if you want my ig, tumblr, or twitter, just ask :)

(Comment&Vote)

<3