Heartbeat

AUTHOR'S NOTE (IMPORTANT NEWS)

Alright everybody- I have important news!!!!
I keep saying that there are only 2 more chapters right?

WRONG!

I lied...  There has been a new change of plans and it turns out that I will be making a lot more than 2 more chapters until the end!! (New ideas and stuff)
I hope that makes you all feel better :)

Now I will let you get on with the chapter ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Tony watched through the glass pane while Bruce, along with many other doctors, set up for the operation they were going to preform on Steve. Steve was lying on the operation bed, sound asleep from medication. There were operation lights and tools on the nearby tables. Tony sat down in the chair that was near him. Natasha, Sam, Phil, Fury, and him were all in the room. Tony rested his elbow on the armchair on the chair and rubbed his eyes. Steve could not die. He was the Super Soldier- he was Tony's Super Soldier.

The operation had started. Tony was told that the operation was unknown to how long it would take. He looked up and watched what they were doing. 

They had brought in a machine that had started cutting into Steve's skull, cutting off his top. Tony watched as a doctor took the top of Steve's skull and set it on another table while the other doctors started peering into Steve's brain. Natasha looked down at Tony, seeing his pale, expressionless, face. "Are you sure you want to watch?" She asked concerned. All the others looked at him. "I'm fine." Tony replied with a stiff, angry tone. Natasha then looked back up through the glass. 

Tony felt as if he was petrified while watching what the doctors were doing. Poking and prodding tools into Steve's brain. Tony knew that these doctors were the best in the world along with Bruce. His heart rate was extremely high and  he was sweating uncontrollably. He couldn't define what were tears and what was sweat on his face. "Tony are you sure-" Coulson turned to him. "I'm  fine dammit!" Tony yelled rubbing a hand through his hair. 

----------

Tony was pacing back and forth in the room behind the operation glass with his arms crossed. He just wanted the operation to be done. It had been eleven hours since the operation began. Tony didn't even know what time it was. The others had left awhile ago but Tony just stayed, watching them strip out cords, slowly, from Steve's brain. Tony walked over to the glass pane and put his hands on the ledge below. He glanced over at the heart monitor that was hooked up to Steve's pulse. His heart was still steadily beating.

It seemed like time was going on forever when finally Tony saw the doctors put down the tools they had. There was a pile of cords and small things that they had taken out of Steve's brain tissue on another nearby table. Tony watched as a few doctors started to put Steve's skull back in its place. 

Once they had finished reattaching the skull, they slowly backed away. Steve's heart was still beating. "Son of a bitch! They did it." Tony said rubbing his hands down his face while leaning in on the glass. Tony was overjoyed that the operation had gone through. A smile crept over his face and he started to laugh. As he was laughing, he noticed the doctors suddenly make quick movement. The smile slowly left Tony's face while the laugh faded away. He glanced at the heart monitor and his heart froze. The line was straight. No pulse. 

Tony was frozen while watching the doctors perform CPR on Steve. His face grew pale again, as if he was living his worst nightmare, which he was. The doctors were doing everything they could but there was no pulse. They kept going until they were on their seventh try. Tony saw one doctor shake his head and the others pulled away. Bruce looked down and Tony saw a tear fall from his face.

Steven was gone. 

Tony suddenly felt extremely lightheaded. His breathing had turned heavy and his knees felt weak. His stomach felt as if it was twisted into a giant knot that couldn't be untangled. His throat had turned dry and he couldn't hold himself up. He started to lose balance and slowly started to fall to the ground. His head was pounding. Before he fell completely, he thought he saw a faint pulse Pierce the heart monitor that was attached to Steve before he fell, hitting his head on the ground, causing everything to go black.

------

There was bright light shining through the window. Tony moaned while he slightly opened his eyes, wincing from the light. He felt the sudden pain of his head. "Dammit." Tony said to himself. He pressed his eyes as he sat up slowly. He blinked his eyes and glanced around. He was in a Shield hospital room. There was quiet music playing on the radio near his bed along with a glass of water. He realized what had happened and remembered Steve. Tony threw off the sheets and quickly stood up looking around. He was still dizzy and a bit out of it. Before he stuttered over to the door, it opened and Natasha walked in. "Tasha?" Tony mumbled, unbalanced. She slightly smiled. "Tony, you sound drunk. You fainted and hit your head pretty hard on the ground. Just sit down." She walked over and sat Tony down. "Just rest for awhile, okay?" She said as she forced him to lay down. "But... Steve." Tony mumbled trying to get up. He was extremely weak so Natasha just slightly pushed him back down onto his pillow.

"Steve is alive. He barely made it. You have no idea how lucky that chance was." She said as Tony listened. "So he will be okay?" Tony asked clearing his throat. "Well Bruce doesn't exactly know the side effects yet. Steve suffered from extreme brain damage but hopefully his Super Soldier serum can help with that. We will just have to wait and see until he wakes up. Just be glad he's alive." Natasha stood up. "You'll be fine in a few hours. Then you can see him." She walked out of the room while Tony fell asleep once more.

-----

Tony woke up again but this time he felt a lot better. He quickly sat up and took off the sheets. His headache was gone and he seemed fine. He was no longer dizzy. "Steve." He said to himself and walked out of the room. 

He saw a lot of agents and other rooms. 'Where would Steve be?' Tony thought as he wandered down the halls. "Tony?" Tony heard a voice from behind and he turned around. "Steve is this way. C'mon." It was Bruce. Tony nodded and turned around following Banner's path. They stopped at a door.

"Here. Oh and Tony, I took an X-ray of Steve's brain. His serum seemed to have repaired most of the damage." Bruce said. Tony silently nodded and twisted the nob, walking in.

His eyes filled with tears while he looked at Steve. His pulse was at a regular heart rate once again and Tony just let out a shallow sigh and sniffled his nose. From the way Steve looked, you would assume he looked as if he was just resting. The damage wasn't on the outside, but hidden in the inside, scattered throughout his brain. 

Tony sat down in a chair near the bed and grasped hold of Steve's hand. Steve suddenly stirred in his sleep and made a small groan. Tony held his breath, waiting for Steve to awaken. "Steven?" Tony whispered down at Steve. Steve turned his head and started to open his eyes. "Oh... oh my God. Steve. Steven." Tony said as he saw Steve's beautiful eyes stare back into his. He held onto Steve's hand while Steve let things slide into focus. Steve squinted his eyes at Tony. "Steve. It's okay! You don't have to be afraid anymore! Everything is better." Tony said quietly while smiling.

Steve gave Tony a confused glare. They held eye contact for a few moments while tears slightly rolled down Tony's cheeks. Steve suddenly pulled his hand out of Tony's grasp still confused. "It's fine. I'm here." Tony said reassuring Steve. He just leaned away from Tony's side.

Steve stared at Tony confusingly for a few moments, 

"Who are you?"