Operation 7

"You called?" Bruce said walking into the hospital bedroom. What Bruce saw gave him a slight shock. Tony Stark kneeling down and crying near Steve's bedside. Tony turned at the sound of Bruce's voice. "Oh. Um, yes. Yes I did." Tony said clearing his throat and standing up. He wiped away at his red eyes and walked over towards Bruce. "I need you to do it Bruce. I can't live without him." He said and grabbed the now chilled coffee that was sitting on the bedside table near Steve's jacket and took a long drink.

Tony had placed the ring back into the pocket of Steve's jacket and just wanted to forget that he had ever stumbled upon it. Tony's heart was in pieces. Pieces that only Steve would know where to put back in and make him whole again.

"Well. Alright. It will take a few hours to gather up the doctors and the right equipment. Along with the fact that agent Coulson is right out there in the hallway and won't allow us to take Steve to an operation room." Bruce said crossing his arms and biting his thumbnail. His usual thinking pose. 

"Anything. Just do it. He would do the same for me." Tony said, knowing that Steve had brought him back from the dead. Bruce just looked at Tony. He had never seen him this frantic. Completely overwhelmed with fear and anxiety. He looked terrible. 

"Okay. Okay. I will get everything together as soon as I can. Maybe an hour?" Bruce said lowering is hand. "We still have to work passed Coulson though."

Tony looked over at Steve. "Can't we just tell him?" He asked plainly. Bruce gave him the 'are you stupid' look. "Tony. First of all, this operation is illegal in the first place. I had Skye hack it out for me- and I already feel bad enough for doing that. Secondly, Coulson is Fury's second in command along with agent Hill. He would obviously be inclined to tell him. And thirdly, he's Coulson! You think he's going to let you?" 

"But that's just it! He's Coulson. I think he might understand. I know things that have happened to Coulson that not a lot of people know." Tony replied remembering everything about how Coulson had actually died instead of just being stabbed. 

Bruce just sighed. "Okay well do what you want with him. I'm going to talk to the doctors here and see if they can help us out with this. And you're sure you want to do this?" He turned to Tony once more. 

"Yes." 

Bruce just nodded and left the hospital room, leaving to talk to the doctors. Tony let the door click shut and he walked over near Steve again. He drifted his finger down Steve's cheek knowing he probably wouldn't wake up anyway. "It will all be better soon. We'll make it through this." Tony whispered as a small tear rolled down his face and dropped.

*one hour later*      

Tony was startled by the sudden knock at the door. He let go of Steve's hand  and quickly stood up. "Come in." He raised his voice slightly so the person on the other side could hear. Bruce walked in.

"I have good news and bad news. Which do you want to hear first?" Bruce asked walking over near him. Tony just rolled his eyes and shrugged is shoulders. "Okay, the good news is, I talked to the doctors and they told me they have multiple operation rooms underneath this hospital from awhile back and they never found use for them. They also told me that they want to help, no matter what the cost." Bruce paused and let Tony take that all in before talking again, "The bad news is, Coulson is still out there."

Tony nodded. "Okay you go round up the doctors and tell them to set up everything for the operation below-" 

"They're already getting things ready. Should be soon." Bruce interrupted. 

"Let me talk to Coulson." Tony said thinking of what to do. "Tony I really don't think telling him is a good idea." 

"Just trust me. I know what I'm doing- I'm never wrong. Just go tell the doctors to come and take Steve or something. That way you can take Steve while I'm talking with Coulson." Bruce nodded, understanding the plan. "I'll go now then." He said before walking out of the room.