Chapter 45

"It's gonna be a masquerade."

Lifting up my shoulder to support my phone to my ear, I quickly grabbed one of my gowns and hung it up on my dresser.

"Really? I want my mask to match my dress, then." I told Jimin over the phone, smiling toothily

"Don't worry! We have tons of different masks here and I'm sure at least one will match your dress." he amusedly and enthusiastically exclaimed

Laughing lightly, I smiled while taking the phone into my hand. Suddenly, a faint knock emitted from the door; making me turn on my heel.

"[Y/N], what time do you wanna leave?" Namjoon called out from outside the door

"Was that Namjoon? Leave soon! I want to see you both already!"  Jimin whined over the line

"We'll leave after I get dressed!" I shouted over at Namjoon outside

"I'll wait for you downstairs then!" Namjoon exclaimed loudly

Hearing Namjoon's heavy footsteps fade away to the staircase, I heard Jimin laugh airily by a tad bit across the line.

"Okay, you two completely sounded like a married couple." he stated knowingly

I paused for a moment, feeling my heart beat a little faster as the growing apprehension within me seemed to increase its duration. Smiling and chuckling half-heartedly, my eyes wandered to the ring set on the dresser.

"Yeah, we did." I softly said while my gaze bore into the silver object with the same thoughts in my head

A small segment of silence settled upon Jimin and I over the line before he stubbornly told me to pick up my pace in dressing up and then he ended the call completely. Sighing deeply, I grabbed my gown and started to wear it as I chose to disregard Jimin's plea and took most of my time getting ready.

After a while, I took one last glance on the mirror before turning on my heel and instilling in my mind that Namjoon and I were to leave in an instant. Grabbing the door with my left-hand, my eyebrows knitted together as I stared at my unoccupied ring finger. I clicked my tongue in aggravation, walking all over to my dresser.

"There you are." I murmured into the air upon seeing the silver band resting on the fine glass of the dresser

As my hand felt its coldness, I stared at it longingly with raging thoughts in my head. I simply felt the same; morose and uncertain about all the events in my life. I thought about him and only him; and continued to ponder on the idea of being together and how highly it would be unfavored by those who are controlling us.

Slipping the ring through my finger, I watched it fall secure. I smiled at myself bitterly; chuckling at how I used to think that marriage was supposed to make me feel frivolous.

I shook my head, going back to my senses and quickly getting a grasp of the idea that Namjoon and I were supposed to head to Jimin's place already. Letting out a deep breath, I went down; seeing Namjoon jolt on his seat the moment he heard me on the stairs. I briefly glanced at him only to see that his eyes stayed put on me as I went down the stairs; bowing my head shyly while feeling heat rise up to my cheeks.

Once I got down, I warily met his gaze; watching the smile on his face grow. I smiled back; admiring the way he looked in formal attire as always. Both of us rode in one vehicle, sitting beside each other without saying a word.

"You look great." he said in a low but soft tone

I turned to look at him, feeling delighted but shy at the same time. Smiling lightly, I reciprocated with a quiet statement of gratitude. I kept my stare at him as he smiled back before taking a swift glance at the object glistening on my fourth finger. Although his eyes were calm, I could see how apprehensive he was through his gaze as he took a glance on his own; looking away and towards the window. He reminded me of plugged electricity; filled with so much tension.