Chapter 9- The Fury of Firestorm

MacKenzie's POV

"Man finally achieves the promise of the Atomic Age." I hear a man's voice say as Barry, Stein and I walk into the cortex.

"Caitlin, what's going on?" Barry asks.

"Hi, I'm glad you're back. This is Dr. Henry Hewitt." Caitlin says. "This is Barry Allen, Mack, and Professor Martin Stein."

"How do you do?" Stein asks, shaking hands with Hewitt.

"The illustrious Martin Stein." Hewitt says. "I've read all your papers back at Hudson, especially on transmutation. Fascinating. You're a legend.

"Oh, please. I think you're overestimating my contribution to the field. I--I appreciate your enthusiasm." Stein says and Barry and I walk over to Caitlin and Cisco.

"Isn't he great?" Caitlin asks.

"He's got an ego the size of Texas, but, yeah, he's all right." Cisco says.

"So, where's Jefferson Jackson?" Caitlin asks.

"We just need more time." Barry states.

"We don't have more time. I couldn't find another power source for the cane and that thing's running out." Cisco says.

"Okay, then let's do the merge. Hewitt's in." Caitlin says.

"What do you mean? You told him the details of the Firestorm Matrix?" Barry asks.

"Absolutely, becoming Firestorm is a huge life change. He needs to know what he's getting himself into." Caitlin says.

"If I remember correctly, vector, variance, hypotenuse-- Proton, neutron, go H.U.!" Stein and Hewitt say.

"Aw, look at that, that's so cute. We'll have two Professor Steins if this works." Cisco says.

"It's gonna work." Caitlin says.

"Yeah." Cisco says.

"Okay." Barry says.

As they talk a little more, I walk over to Hewitt.

"Hello, there." Hewitt greets me, shaking my hand and something doesn't feel right. My heart feels cold, like there's something off about him. Feels like a bad presences, almost....evil.

I release his hand and run over to Cisco, Caitlin and Barry.

"Hewitt isn't the one." I whisper to them.

"What do you mean?" Cisco asks me.

"Something about him...doesn't feel right to me." I say, placing a hand over my heart.

"He's in. We're trying it." Caitlin says firmly.

***

"When I put this splicer on your chest you're gonna feel a rush. That's a molecular primer being released into your body. Then you can make physical contact with Professor Stein, and...Firestorm Matrix will take over." Cisco explains to Hewitt as I stand next to Barry.

"Easy enough." Hewitt says.

"Ready?" Caitlin asks.

"No time like the present." Stein says, giving his cane to Caitlin. "Thank you, my dear."

"Okay." Cisco says, putting the splicer on Hewitt. Stein and Hewitt touch but nothing happens.

"Try again." Stein says and they try again and it doesn't work.

"This is unexpected." Stein says.

"Something's supposed to be happening, right? Why isn't it working?" Hewitt asks.