Chapter 35- Trajectory

MacKenzie's POV

Cisco, Barry and I walk to the edge of a cliff with a waterfall.

Cisco throws a rock and it takes a while to hit the bottom.

"Whoo-hoo-hoo." Cisco says. "Uh, it didn't look this deep on the map."

"That's cause maps are flat." Barry says. "This is like a thousand feet deep. Mack, did you let him choose this place?"

"Yeah, it was clearly a mistake." I say.

"Well, Barry, you want to get faster." Cisco defends. "Maybe plummeting to your death is the motivation you need."

Cisco walks away from Barry and I and Barry looks over the cliff again.

"Okay, be honest." Barry says to me. "If you had superspeed, would you jump this?"

"Not unless I wanted to die." I tell him simply and he looks at me. "You told me to be honest."

Harry then walks over.

"So to reach escape velocity, you're gonna have to go...that fast." Harry says, showing Barry a number as I look at the cliff again.

"Well, that fast is impossible. I can promise you that." Barry says.

"Ah, 'Nothing in life is promised except death.'" Harry says.

"Edgar Allen Poe?" Barry asks.

"Kanye West." Harry says.

"If it makes you feel any better, Evel Knievel cleared a line of cars that was twice this long, and he didn't even have superpowers, unless you count that sweet-ass ride." Cisco says as he walks over to us with Caitlin.

"Do you hear yourself?" Barry asks Cisco.

"What?" Cisco asks. "Look, you're gonna be fine. I'm 80% sure of it. 76. Like a strong 72. O can't stop, Caitlin, help."

"If you don't feel ready, you probably shouldn't do it." Caitlin says.

"Not helpful." Cisco says.

"Look, Zoom's still out there." Barry says. "And once I find a way back to Earth-2, I have to be faster than him. And, I mean, right now--I wasn't even fast enough to save Jay. I have to try."

Barry gets ready to run as we stand at the tent thing.

Barry superspeeds the jump.

"He's gonna make it!" Caitlin exclaims.

Then, Barry falls.

"No!" Caitlin and I yell, running forwards.

"Oh, damn." Harry says and then he runs with us.

The drones Barry had brought along lift Barry up in a net.

"'Why's you have to bring those drones along, Cisco?' 'Oh, I don't know.' You're welcome, everyone." Cisco says.

***

Jesse is watching the news and eating popcorn when we walk in.

"Scooch." Cisco tells Jesse and she gets up.

"So how'd it go?" Jesse asks.

"Well, he's not a red splat on the side of a mountain." Harry says.

"That's our new definition of success?" Cisco asks, sitting down.

"It's one of them." Harry says.

"That's sad." I say.

"So you didn't make the canyon jump?" Jesse asks Barry.