Chapter 13- The Darkness and The Light

MacKenzie's POV

Cisco and I were watching Barry's date through the camera we installed in his sunglasses.

"Okay, she's two steps in front of you." Cisco directs Barry.

"Nice glasses." Patty tells Barry.

"Touchdown." Cisco says, eating his chinese food.

"I'm sorry I'm late." Barry says.

"Don't be. You know I actually judge my dates on whether or not they stand me up, so you are off to a great start." Patty says.

"What do you mean? Who would stand you up?" Barry asks.

"Oh, I have a reputation." Patty says. "Not that kind of reputation. That's not what I meant."

"That's embarrassing." Cisco laughs.

"You know, I actually--I arrested a boyfriend once. A very ex-boyfriends while we were at dinner." Patty says. "He got really wasted and decided to insult the waitress. So I cited him for public intoxication."

"That is hilarious." Barry says.

"Special." Patty laughs. "So..."

"Dude, she looks amazing." Cisco says. "You have to tell her how amazing she looks."

"You look amazing, Patty." Barry says.

"Uh, thanks, I actually had a really hard time trying to figure out what to wear, like, if I should wear a dress or if this color was a little weird." Patty says.

"No, you look great." Barry says. "Um, yeah, no, that--what would you call that color?" He asks and Cisco and I look at each other.

"Can't tell. Feed's black and white." I tell Barry.

"Yeah, whatever it is, that color should thank you for wearing it." Barry says and I facepalm.

"My man." Cisco says.

"Smooth." Patty laughs.

"Not smooth." Barry laughs.

"Oh, wine list. Here we go." Cisco says, sitting up in his chair.

"Uh, yes, uh, got it, thank you." Barry says. "Um... Um, you know, why don't you..." And he almost knocks something over. "Oop! Sorry."

"No, that's okay." Patty says, taking the menu from Barry.

"The guy always picks. Why don't you choose?" Barry suggests.

"Yeah, what do you want, red or white?" Patty asks him.

"Whatever you'd like." Barry says.

"Uh, yeah. You got this. Why do you even need us?" Cisco asks, sitting back in his chair and I put my feet on the desk as we watch the date.

***

"So I've actually been dying to ask you, what was it like to be struck by lightning?" Patty asks Barry.

"Mm. Life-changing, to be honest." Barry replies.

"Did it hurt?" Patty asks.

"I mean, all I really remember is feeling electricity surging through my body. It was an intensity I had never felt, like I was instantly connected to everything around me. Then I woke up from a coma nine months later." Barry says.

"Waking up in the future like that, it's like time travel." Patty says.

"Sort of, yeah." Barry says.