Chapter 33-King Shark

MacKenzie's POV

"No!" Caitlin screams as we stare at the place Jay was just taken and killed from. "He's not dead. He's not dead." She repeats.

"Caitlin..." Barry says.

"He's not dead. He's not." Caitlin says again and tears run down my cheeks.

"Caitlin..." Iris says from next to me.

"This isn't happening. This isn't happening again." Caitlin says and Cisco runs up to her.

"Hey, I got you." Cisco says, putting his arm around her. "Come on."

They pass by me and Barry walks forward.

"Open it up." Barry says.

"Allen..." Harry says.

"I need to go back." Barry says.

"I can't do that." Harry tells him.

"Open it up!" Barry yells and more tears run down my cheeks.

"Allen!" Harry yells. "The breaches are closed. All the breaches are closed."

"Why can't we just open one of 'em?" Joe asks.

"The quark matter energy that we used to seal the breaches, it prevents them from being opened, ever again." Harry says. "There's no going back to our world."

"Wait." Jesse says. "We're trapped here for good?"

"Yes." Harry says and Jesse looks down.

"No, we can't just let Zoom get away with this." Barry says. "He just murdered Jay right in front of us."

"There's got to be something we can do." Joe says.

"There's not." Harry says. "Not this time. It's over."

"No." Barry whispers and he leaves.

***

I walk slowly through the halls going to the cortex until I see Barry, in normal clothes.

"Mack..." Barry says, walking over to me.

He bends down and kneels in front of me. He wipes a tear from my eye with his thumb.

"Why did this have to happen?" I whisper, looking at Barry with my teary eyes. "Caitlin was finally happy again."

Barry picks me up and I lay my head on his shoulder. He walks to the cortex.

"How's she doing?" Barry asks in a whisper to Cisco, holding me in his arms.

"Not good." Cisco says. "We tried to get her to go home, but she refused to leave, so, you know, I just sat with her until she fell asleep."

"First Ronnie, now Jay." Barry says. Barry says as I tighten my grip around his neck, hearing Ronnie and Jay's names.

"Yeah. I'm afraid what this double dose of grief is gonna do to her." Cisco says. "I mean, she's pretty shell-shocked."

"She'll be fine." Harry says. "Snow's strong. She'll get past this. But in the meantime, I would not say anything to her about her counterpart from my Earth. That goes for Joe and Iris too."

"Why?" Barry asks.

"Because you don't want to influence their reality in ways that should not be influenced." Harry says.

"Like in the same way as when Barry time-travels?" Cisco asks.

"Exactly, but also, what's the point?" Harry asks. "Those people are not your people. Their lives are not your lives. Never were, never will be. Bury it. Move on. Yes?"