Chapter 39 : Too Late

H A N N A H

"No. . ." Daniel's father said. "We're too late."

The dragon, who was in the form of a man, laughed hysterically. I turned around in surprise to find that he had broken out of the ice easily.

"Well, now I can have dinner." He said while grinning, showing his sharp and amazingly white teeth.

"No," Jake exclaimed in fear. "You can't!"

"Why not?" He challenged, raising his eyebrow in a taunting manner.

"Because. . . You need to do the proper ritual! If you don't, you'll be stripped by your almighty powers!" Jake bluffed.

"What? What kind of lame lie is that?" He roared with laughter.

"It's the truth because," I said. "We are. . . Under the protection of Re'eti's spirit and he made it so!"

The dragon pondered, then said. "Alright, then. How do I do this ritual?"

He's so dumb. I thought. "It's simple, you have to sleep for a hundred years and --" Lara's mom was interrupted when the Dragon of Discord shot forward.

"How amusing. You thought I woukd just. . . Believe you? Only fools would think so." He growled and charged forward, flaming blade in hand. We dodged but he was able to swifty land a hit on Lara's mom. Then, somehow, he landed hits on all of us in a jiffy.

He swung his sword around with such precision that it took all our breath away. He could block all our attacks and dodge with ease. He made it look so easy.

He was going to stab me at the chest when an arrow hit him out of nowhere. He grunted and removed it with ease. Thank you to whoever shot that arrow. I said in my head. It wasn't long until me and the Dragon of Discord had a one on one fight.

I gave up fighting and screamed, "why are you doing this?! Why can't you just be the good guy?!"

His eyes darkened. "I was the good guy. And that all changed when I was falsley accused for something I did not do! I helped villages by warming them with my fire! I offered my gold to the poor and they repayed me by accusing me of killing the old Beast of Harmony!" He shouted, venom oozing in his voice as he bared his fangs.

The old Beast of Harmony? I thought. As if he read my thoughts, he said, "no one could live forever. Everyone passes away eventually. The old Beast of Harmony was Von'del, he died and his harmonic powers transfered to another mighty beast who was a good candidate to be the Beast of Harmony, Re'eti. Re'eti is dead because his soul was extracted from him, if he is found and you release his soul it will go back to him and bring him back to life, including his powers." He spat, unknowingly giving us useful information.

"Gah! Why am I telling this to you!" He slashed his sword and wounded me. I screamed and stumbled backwards. "T-then why didn't you p-prove them wrong? Y-you shouldn't have acted ra-rashly!" Jake helped me up. "Y-you just proved to them that you were evil because. . . B-because you burned that town down!" I exclaimed, recalling my History class.

He stared at me with fire in his eyes and growled, baring his inhumanly sharp fangs once more. Then, unexpectedly, he flew away while shouting curses. "Let's go!" Jake exclaimed, carrying me while running away with the others. We passed through the Foggy Hallows and ran forward without minding the direction, anywhere far away from the Dragon of Discord was good. Perhaps luck was playing on our side because we got out of the fog to see the river.